New
Find
Notify
Tools

mod. 54 Win trigger conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would be involved in converting a mod 70 pre 64 trigger for a mod. 54, I appears only a spring in the forward part and that might require a hole drilled their to set the spring in???????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you would also have to change the cocking piece or firing pin assy. I'm not sure about the location for the sear pivot but a hole has to be drilled for the trigger pivot.
I made a few mods to my Model 54 (Model 70 bottom metal. Mauser bolt top. Bolt handle) elected to just tune the trigger. I like 2 stage triggers anyway. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3755 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would also require a shim on each side of the model 70 trigger in the trigger pin recess. Biggest problem is in bolt stop, as bolt stop is accomplished by 54 trigger and slot milled into bolt. I have a model 70 trigger with shims added that you are welcome to--just pay postage.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by disassembly:
Would also require a shim on each side of the model 70 trigger in the trigger pin recess. Biggest problem is in bolt stop, as bolt stop is accomplished by 54 trigger and slot milled into bolt. I have a model 70 trigger with shims added that you are welcome to--just pay postage.

And this is why mine has a Mauser bolt stop and has the notch in the bolt filled in. Although I retained the two-stage trigger (tuned to 2 3/4 pounds) I dislike the trigger as a bolt stop. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3755 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a trigger for the 54? Also can you just take the slack out of the 54 trigger..I did that and honed a 2.5 lb. trigger and it was excellent, but if you pushed the trigger forward the gun would fire!! I have it working now but I dislike the two stages..

Disassembly,
Did you find that mod. 70 trigger the best way to go? Im interested.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it was the best way to go, but I also installed Mod 70 bolt stop and ejector along with firing pin and pr war safety. I installed aTimney trigger (Mod 70) in another one for a friend and built a bolt stop that mounted to the two rear sight holes on left side of the action.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toughest job in using a 70 trigger on a 54 is milling the slot for bolt stop.