New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for Mr Weibe or?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I should know this and probably have the correct answer myself but here goes.

I am stocking a Ferlach with set triggers. Where do I measure the length of pull? From the front trigger or the back trigger?
When putting it alongside a regular 98, the rear (set) trigger is in alignment with the 98 trigger. Do I assume I take the measurment from the rear trigger?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stupid things, arn't they? For a start, if a trigger is to release the fireing pin, the rear thingy isn't even a trigger.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yup the rear only sets the front. Measure from the front.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim: I think the current mode is to measure from the front trigger...I have copies of old stock fitting worksheets that show measuring midpoint (on double guns) while this seems sensible...I always ask "how did you measure?"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done double trigger shotguns in the past and did measure from the front trigger. What threw me was when I compared this Ferlach to an FN I am working on, the rear "set" and the FN lined up.

I really do nice work on bolt handles now; I do weld all the way around.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
What threw me was when I compared this Ferlach to an FN I am working on, the rear "set" and the FN lined up.

The Ferlach was probably meant for a taller more lanky person with a bit more reach. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac:

I was referrring to the position of the triggers between the two actions in relation to the guard screw or rear tang or the action. All of the parts, action, rear tang and guard screws lined up but the tigger on the FN was even with the rear trigger; didn't have anything to do with the length of pull yet.

By the way, I just got off the phone with another ACGG member and he said he was taught to measure from half way between the two triggers. Go figger. I think I will measure from the rear trigger and if it proves to be too long, I can always shorten it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Westpac:

I was referrring to the position of the triggers between the two actions in relation to the guard screw or rear tang or the action. All of the parts, action, rear tang and guard screws lined up but the tigger on the FN was even with the rear trigger; didn't have anything to do with the length of pull yet.

By the way, I just got off the phone with another ACGG member and he said he was taught to measure from half way between the two triggers. Go figger. I think I will measure from the rear trigger and if it proves to be too long, I can always shorten it.

Yes, you would measure half way between the two IF it is a double barrel where each trigger controls it's own barrel. But in your case, you don't have 2 barrels. You only have one and it's trigger is the front one. The rear is nothing more than a "curved lever" which is used to set the front. So if it were me, I would go with the front.