Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted
I am a new member of the "accuratereloading forums", so please, be gentle....
Red Face)
I am interested in sporterizing an 8mm Mauser. My grandfather sporterized a German Mauser back in the '50's, and I think it would be a fun and intersting project for me to do one as well 9and a grea deer gun!). I wish he was around to guide me, as his rifle was very nice.
Here are my questions: What would be the best mauser to start with? How can you tell the difference between J and JS Mausers? (If my memory serves me, the JS takes the more common, desireable .323 slugs??)
Where would be the best place for me to start? Books, websites, or???? I am pretty handy and detail oriented, but do not any real gunsmithing skills. I plan on doin Coolg as much of he project as I can myself, with only machine work "farmed out".
Thanks for any help or advice in advance!

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct in that the JS, or IS as it should be, is .323" I should think that any mauser other than a late war production and some of the Turkish ones would make a good platform for custom work.
A good search here on AR will net results for you too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned to another poster there is a 4 tape set put out by AGI that is just what you are looking for. It is entitled "Building the Custom Mauser Rifle". I think you can also get it on DVD. It is well worth the money for those starting out in customizing.

http://www.americangunsmith.com/

I might also suggest you find a copy of Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig Olson

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info so far. I will lookinto getting the tapes.
Where would I go about finding a suitable rifle for this project?

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rayderluvr:
Thanks for the info so far. I will lookinto getting the tapes.
Where would I go about finding a suitable rifle for this project?

Where would you go about getting a suitable rifle?

There are lots of places, but I would suggest that the first place to try is locally, wherever it is that you live. there is nothing like being able to take a first hand look at the thing before you commit to it. If you live in the country keep an eye out for gun shows in the closest large city and go to them. You are going to find mausers at every gun show you go to.

The next place is AuctionArms and GunBroker. Internet sites that operate much like Ebay. But you don't get to inspect first, and you have to have the things sent to an FFL dealer. If you have to send them back you usually lose out on shipping.

And finally, you could put an ad here on AR. Lots of folks here have mausers sitting around from well intentioned (but unstarted) projects.

As far as what to look for. There are many good ones. And when you become more sophisticated in the whole deal and have one or two under your belt you can start to look for the really desireable ones like G.33/40 and 1935 Oberndorf. For right now, try and find a good condition VZ-24.

But buy the tapes first so you know what you are getting yourself into.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides getting good info here you can also try:

Sporterizing Forum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mitchells is selling M48a's 8x57 in unfired condition. Perhaps actions only, I'm not sure. It might be a pricey way to start but it would beat trying to clean up some sort of scavaged 98.
The M48 is shorter than the 98's but would be suitable for any of the .308 family of cartridges as well as the 8x57 or the 7x57.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote