Find
Notify
Tools

B. Searcy's engraver - Ron Collins
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All:

I just purchased a Searcy .577 NE and am not faced with the question about engraving. I learned that Butch uses a guy by the name of Ron Collins, and English trained engraver who worked at H&H, W&S and Purdey.

Does anyone have pictures of some of Mr. Collin's high end engraving? I'm interested in having Bolino (Bulino or "Bank Note") engraving done--would love to have a Cape Buffalo or Elephants on the side plates. The question is, how good is his engraving if I wanted this done? I have seen some GREAT Bolino engraving on the net, but the examples on Butch's website leave a lot to be desired.

Does anyone have pictures of Mr. Collins engraving?

Thanks in advance,

Clark

Posts: 36 | Location: Fairfax County, Virginia | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a master gunmaker like Butch Searcy recommends an engraver he should be extremely god indeed. Best wishes and do post pictures of your rifle when it is completed.

Good hunting! thumb

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The stuff you've seen on the net is probably by the best engravers out there.

Where a SL bulino game scene could easily cost 10K...(Engraving Arts, Hunt, Brown Bro., etc...) I'm not familiar with Mr. Collins engraving, but the very best costs a lot.

His pricing would probably be the best indicator as to what you can expect in terms of quality. If he gets 3K for game scene engraving, then you shouldn't expect it to look like it was done by an Italian master

if he charges 8K for it - then you should expect that it will.

I'm sure Butch can get you some samples to review.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should clarify...the scroll engraving on Butch's website is gorgeous, but the cape buffalo that is on there, I don't care for it.... But Butch did say that it wasn't his engravers best work--I'll just have to check some of the books Butch has...

Posts: 36 | Location: Fairfax County, Virginia | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark,
Another engraver that you should seriously consider it Roger Kehr. He has worked for some of the best. He did one of the big 5 rifles for SCI with Bolliger one year. You can do a search on here and see a lot of his work.

Or do we even have a search function anymore?

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Clark,
Another engraver that you should seriously consider it Roger Kehr. He has worked for some of the best. He did one of the big 5 rifles for SCI with Bolliger one year. You can do a search on here and see a lot of his work.

Or do we even have a search function anymore?

Roger Kehr is a Member of this site. Search for 'Scrollcutter'.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few examples of Roger's work. He and I built a rifle for the San Diego SCI chapter and it was auctioned off last year.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
*salivating* eek2 hot damn thats gorgeous work!!! thumb

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I LOVE the engraving of the .600 NE from engravingarts.com...

My question is: you mentioned $10K for engraving arts job. Is that a guess for his .600 NE job or is it factual?

Also, do you know if you have to use Butch's engraver, or can you go somewhere else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark,
You can use anyone. You are just buying the gun from him.

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
Roger is top knotch, imagine a wolf that looks like a wolf, and sheep that look like sheep, now that is amazing in this day and time...beatiful work...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote