New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing Out Dents in Wood Stocks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a simple, home remedy to bring out small dents in wood rifle stocks? If there is, what is the procedure, and if there isn't, how is it done professionally?

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Put wet wash cloth on dented areas, use hot iron as in clothes iron and steam them away. Usually works unless the dents are more like deep gouges, but even then will help a great deal. Yes, it will mess up the finish a bit, but that is easy enough to restore.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I haven't done it myself, but somet things that I have read here on the forum.

If you have a finish on the stock you can try pricking through the finish with a needle first. Also, if the wood is just dented it should work, if the grain is broker, broken edges on the ding, it will raise it some but not get rid of it all together.

Let me know how it works for you. I do have a stock that is badly dented up that I am going to experiment on. It has a heavy gloss finish on it though that I need sand off first.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's easy, and it works quite well, as long as the dent doesn't resemble the Grand Canyon. Go for it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little hesitant. Just don't want to turn a very small blemish into a big problem with the finish getting marred by the heat.

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have good luck using a wet rag and electric soldering gun on the smaller dents. Heats up a smaller area. You will mar the finish. It depends on the type finish how bad. I would not do it unless you are confortable reparting the finish.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote