New
Find
Notify
Tools

1895 Win in 10.75x68 Mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the 1895 Winchester be adapted to the 10.75x68mm cartridge? The base diameter is .495", and the standard length is a little less than 30-06. Don't see why it wouldn't work. Any thought? Sounds pretty cool, if it would work. The Rim Diameter of the 405 Win is .543" and .461" just in front of the rim. Does anyone know how wide a cartridge the 1895 win barrel and magazine can take?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They made them for Russia in 7.62x54 didnt they? The rim on that round is larger then a .405.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's not the rim or the barrel you have to worry about; Each one uses its own magazine width and the Russians are very rare; all went to Russia and didn't come back. I have converted many 30-40s and 30-06s to .405 but nothing any bigger in diameter than that. Having said that, it is only .020 bigger than a '06 so I am sure you could get it to work. The mag box walls are milled out of fairly thick steel. As is, it won't take a 1/2 inch rod; I just tried it on a 30-03.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Russians are very rare; all went to Russia and didn't come back.

Thats interesting as for awhile I used to see more russians at gunshows around here then anything else! They never brought the price other chamberings did either?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ever tried to do one, it would be on a miroku '06. Much tougher.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Japanese ones are much stronger and you don't have to worry about bolt faces setting back. I have had to re-bush bolt faces on originals.

posted Hide Post
dpcd How did you do your .30-06 to .405? Did you machine out the bolt face on the bolt? What about the extractor, ejector and carrier cradle?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep, just set the bolt up in your lathe and bore the face bigger. Extractor needs a bit of tweaking; ej works as is. Carrier works as is. I did alter the feed lips to match an original rimmed rifle; they are angled back more on the rimmed ones.