Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Magazine follower modification
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I want to modify the follower on my M70 Safari Classic 375 H&H to get 4 rounds down. I've already installed the old style spring and I can get the 4th round into the magazine but the bolt drags too hard on it.

Can I purchase another follower and take a couple of thousandths off so that the bottom round fits an RCH deeper. Or is this too difficult for the home shop to do?

Should I purchase a pre or post 64 follower to experiment on or just pack the whole gun off to a smith?

Anyone have an old follower for sale that will fit my gun?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy the follower directly from Winchester. The old follower (below SN# G318388) has an old number (3600A0380) and a new number (U353600380). It costs $29.95.

If your rifle has a serial number of G318388 or greater, the follower has an old number of (3600A1140), and a new number of (U35601140). Cost for that unit is listed as $28.95.

If there is a smith or machinist near you, maybe you could have them mill a couple of thousandths at a time off the bottom while you check for fit.

Brownells carries some factory parts, but I don't know if these made the cut.

God luck,

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold:

Check out http://www.wyattsoutdoor.com

I think Kevin carries something like that he custom makes for longer actions and feeding in model 70s or larger capacity magazine mods.... suppose to be reasonably priced also.....

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I have a left handed M70 Safari Classic, Ser No. G 377XXX

Brownells lists

MAGAZINE FOLLOWER
Mfr: USRAC/WINCHESTER

FITS: 70 Classic Left Hand,Sporter,Super Exp,Super Grade, .300 Wthby, .375 Mag, .416 Rem Mag; 70 Classic Sporter, Super Exp, Super Grade, .300 Wthby, .375 Mag, .416 Rem Mag; 70 Classic Stainless, .300 Wthby; 70 Push Feed Sporter, Super Exp,

P/N 910-360-038 for $23.01

Winchester has part number U353601140 listed online as the only one for $17.00, so I'll probably go with that one.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote