New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger # 1B accurizing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please explain what is required to accurize a Ruger #1B rifle. Trigger etc. What accuracy can be expected from a 25-06 Ruger barrel. Fred M.

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted

<John Lewis>
posted
Here is what I do when I accurize a #1. I bed the forearm to the hanger, float the barrel, re-crown the muzzle, adjust the trigger, re-place the mainspring, smoothe the safety, lap the scope rings, and adjust the quarter-rib. Generally, these rifles will shoot around 3/4" at 100yds after they've been accurized if they have a half decent barrel from the factory. This is with good handloads.

<Hondo64d>
posted
John Lewis,

Have you done any work on the Browning Low Walls? I have one in .260 that is not shooting well, but is much too beautiful a rifle to part with. Think you could help me with this?

Thanks,

John Davis

<Savage 99>
posted
John Lewis,

Do you suggest lightening the hammer as well? If a #1 is sent to a smith I feel that the locktime should be improved as much as reasonably possible.

The new ones really need trigger work also. I agree with all the things that you listed above.

<John Lewis>
posted
Savage99 - I routinely swiss-cheese the hammer, but I really haven't seen it make too much difference if you've replaced the mainspring with a heavier one.

one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
How do you adjust the quarter rib? Do you need a milling machine??

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zermel,
Here is a link that might interest you and help with the #1 project:

http://www.eabco.com/HicksAccurizer1.html
http://www.eabco.com/HicksAccurizer1.html

Good Shooting'
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Good luck, i had a 1A light sporter in .243, and that gun would shoot patterns, not groups. It was absolutely the biggest piece of junk i have ever owned. I hope you have better luck than i did!

<John Lewis>
posted
cowboy - the most important thing about the quarter rib is that the back edge of it absolutely must not touch the action. You can accomplish this by grinding, but we ues the mill. Also, some of them are warped quite badly and need to be fine-tuned so they aren't binding as much when you re-install them.