New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Marking Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I received a call the other day about a custom rifle made on a DWM 98 Mauser and marked on the top of the receiver is "Spitzer Bullet". Has anyone seen these markings before? The owner feels that the these marking are as original as the DWM marking on the side. I asked for pictures and will post them when I get them.

If I remember correctly DWM patented the Spitzer Bullet.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would have to see good photos also. I are very interested in seeing the photos.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have an old Mauser catalog that lists a "spitzer bullet" version. So it would not be out of line to have that model so marked.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the "spitzer" a reference to the bore diameter?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
is the "spitzer" a reference to the bore diameter?

No just pointed versus round nose bullets.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Then would it have indicated a change in twist when the spitzer was adopted versus the old heavy round nose bullets? I would think something like that or else it was pure marketing?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
http://proofhouse.com/index.htm

Doesnt answer your question, I dont think just ran through it quickly. Nice to have around for other things that might come up.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm punching in the dark, here, but there were/are two bore diameters, was the spitzer designated as one of them, the round nose he other?

If my question has been answered, forgive me, it takes a while for me. Smiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Would it possibly refer to different throating for the spitzer and the round nose?

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spitzer Bullet

Refers to the sights being regulated to the spitzer version rather than the round nose version of the cartridge. Typically 7x57 or 8x57.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, still no pictures from the owner.

I think this is the DWM patent that the USA paid about 400K to after the war because the 30-06 bullet infringed on their patent.
http://www.google.com/patents?...v=onepage&q=&f=false

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mystery solved,
Hans Tauscher a pre-WWI New York dealer of Mauser rifles sold a "Spitzer-Bullet" model rifle made in both 7 & 8mm made for the spitzer bullet and marked on the receiver ring in english "Spitzer-Bullet".

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303

http://www.landofborchardt.com/tauscher-article.html

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
VERY GOOD! Thank you Micheal.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mausers were military and were marked "SJ". It inidcated that the rifle was chambered for the new (around 1900) pointed ("Spitzer" meant pointed" in the German military parlance of the era) infantry bullet that was introduced about that time. Why "SJ" and not "SI"? Because S and I are interchangeable in this application, so to avoid possible misinterpretaion of the letter "i" and calling it a numeral "1", the designation was made to read "SJ" so there wopuld be no question about what it said, "Spitzer Infantry". The Mauser military cartridges prior to this time had all been round-nose types as had the the American Krag. When the US started paying royalties to the Mauser company so we could use the '98 action as the basis for our new Springfield rifle (we paid Mauser a royalty on each '03 Springfield we built until April, 1917), the rifle was chambered for the new cartridge chambered for it and known as the 03-03 cartridge, the bullet being a 220 grain jacketed roundnose.. When the Germans came out with the "SJ" bullet, the US followed suit by adopting a spitzer bullet in a new cartridge for the '03 Springfield rifle and naming the new cartridge the 03-06, with a (I believe) 176 grain jacketed spitzer (pointed ) bullet. Which is why, dear hearts, the 1903 Springfield is chambered for the .30-06 cartridge. By the way, if you see at a flea market or gun show (they are the same now) an old box of military ammunition marked .30-06 Mark 1, grab them. Those cartridges are boat-tail bullets that the US used for a few years until they found that the boattail did not add anything to accuracy and quit making them because they cost more to make but had no redeeming attribute to justify the extra cost.

I now relinquish my soap-box to someone else.