THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Thoughts , opinions, and experiences with Green Mountain barrels?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts , opinions, and experiences with Green Mountain barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All:

I was looking at Green Mountain as a potential source for a medium bore CF project I have. Looking for a good value barrel and their product looks interesting.

Have found good reviews on their rimfire offerings but could not find much on the CF stuff.

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments and experiences would be super!

Thx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a number of their barrels, and excellent results. Personal rifles, I have a .257 roberts that shoots under 1" 5 shot groups, a .38-72 Long Range blackpowder that shoots as good as any other barrel out there, .338-06 that is an excellent shooter. I've built a number of .45-70 and .45-90's that are very competitive. Done well with their .22 barrels, too.

If you're looking for a .338 by any chance, I have a number of them that I had custom contoured and polished, very nice barrels.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
a few more details, Dave about those 338 barrels if you please?

Jeff

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used a ton of their muzzle loading barrels, at least a half ton of their tapered octagon BP cartridge barrels and I don't know how many small centerfire barrels since Adams and Bennett barrels were at least half GMs. Now, they are marketing under their own name, and I would not hesitate to use them.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
a few more details, Dave about those 338 barrels if you please?

Jeff

I have 6 of the barrels left. They are 25 inches long for a finished length of 24.

They are #3, #4 and #5 sporter contours, more or less. I didn't mark them with the contours, so have lost track. The muzzle diameter (1 inch in) is .610 .630, .660, and .680 on the 4 sizes I have.

The weight doesn't vary much, from 3 lbs 1 oz to 3 lbs 7 oz.

They are polished to about a 280 grit finish. Doesn't take much work to get them final polished for bluing if the smith is careful not to gouge them, or they can be bead blasted without further prep and are ready for a matte blue.

$165 shipped is my price. I don't think you can find a better barrel for the price.

Also have one .338 half octagon, half round. It is 25 inches long, .950 at muzzle, 1.00 across the flats on the ocgaon part, which is 11 1/4" long. The tenon at the breech is 1.00 inches round, so will limit what rifles it can be threaded to. It weighs 4 lbs 15 oz. $235 shipped for it. It's polished to about a 220 grit finish.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking Of Green Mountain Barrels...

this was posted by a GM rep on Rimfire Central on 9/24/13.

Hi Everybody:

We are still having trouble with our website not being able to take orders. If you need to order or inquire, please call me or email. We have lots of barrel blanks, 10-22 bull barrels and sporters, AR15 M16 and M4 barrels which have started to come back in stock. Sorry for any inconvenience, but we will be happy to assist by phone. Green Mountain is now it's own company - owned by Rick Sanborn. Our former corporate owner, EBSCO is handling the hand-over of the website poorly, so we appreciate your phone calls. Rick saved over 200 jobs by buying the company when EBSCO decided to shut us down after the Newtown shootings. Green Mountain is the nation's largest independent rifle barrel manufacturer - sourcing from US suppliers and manufacturing in New Hampshire, USA.
Thank you all for your continued support. Dennis

Looks like it was a close one.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Did green mtn make bbls for Knight. If they did then I'd pass.

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Did green mtn make bbls for Knight. If they did then I'd pass.

Rich

Green Mountain WAS owned by EBSCO Industries, which owned a pile of companies including Knight.
http://www.ebscoind.com/#

EBSCO shutdown production of Knight Rifles in 09.
And sold Knight to Plastic Industries in late 2010.
http://www.pi-inc.com/

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, Knight's MLs were made by GM; you must not have used any of their other barrels if you think they are not good. I do not know about the quality of the Knight ML.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, a person absolutely should not buy a Corvette. It is made by General Motors, isn't that the company that made the Chevy Vega and the Citation?

As with most companies, Green Mountain makes products of varying quality levels and types, depending on the specifications of the end users. I guarantee that Knight rifles didn't have top end BPCR barrels on them, although GM made them at the same time they were making Knight barrels. Instead, Knights had something inexpensive made to their spec's installed on them.

dave