Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding problem
 Login/Join

posted
My grandson went to glass bed a gun for me. He ordered micro-bed and got acra-bed instead from brownells. He used vaselline as a releasing agent and it didn,t work,like he says it had before with micro-bed. Now the barreled action is married to the stock. Even tried putting it in a freezer,any thoughts on what to do now?

Posts: 14 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
How long was it put in the freezer? Sometimes it takes quite awhile for that to work. The other problem is that the bedding got into a gun crevice or achieved a purchase where it could hold the metal into the stock.
I would leave the gun in the freezer at least twice as long as you did, then hit it with a rawhide mallet to try and break the rifle loose from the stock.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Heat works the best IMO. Lay an old clothes iron on the scope bases for about 20-30 minutes, the stock will fall off. I secure the rifle in a barrel vice so that the stock overhangs some blankets or pillows. Make sure to remove any action screws or the stock tends to want to stay on the rifle.Wink

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEVER USE Petroleum Jelly !!!!!. Wax man Wax .

A lot of people use wax incorrectly . Think of that barrel like it's your prized Silver Ghost Rolls . Wax on wax off , repeat three times and NO epoxy will stick to any part of it .

Try the freezer and mallet first , then the heat method , it may take a heat gun at around 400 - 500 degrees so protect your wood with silicone .
Not the spray on type either the stuff that comes out of a chalking gun !. One coat of wax on the wood ( hopefully it's finished already ? ) wipe off apply silicone too the wood to protect it from the heat gun IF NECESSARY !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hold the barrel in my left hand and drop the butt with my right hand, letting the comb of the stock collide with my flexed right thigh.

A couple of hits like that, and the stuck barreled action comes out.

The advantage to this is that the action comes straight out of the stock, instead of being pried up on one end. Prying on one end could wreck the fit that was the intention of the bedding.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Sometimes cycling the thing between the freezer for overnight, then heating the action(iron on the scope blocks sounds right-no flames!), then freezing. I got one out once with a thin wood wedge pressed under the barrel, then backing out the action screws 3 turns, then whacking the screw heads with a plastic mallet.