Find
Notify
Tools

Cross bolts for synthetic stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK Fellas,

What are the symptoms of a rifle with a synthetic stock that it needs cross bolts?

Any chance that a stock without cross bolts could deform enough under recoil to affect grouping?

(Rifle weighs 9 pounds and generates abt 40 lb-ft of recoil in a commercial FN action. Is in a Fajens synthetic stock.)

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mstarling ; If an action is properly bedded . Say pillar in a wooden stock or a synthetic with an Aluminum bedding block is a cross bolt really necessary ?.
I would bet a quality synthetic stock wouldn't deform with or without a cross bolt .

Several are far stronger than wood it's self as well as being less prone to warp or moisture intrusion . Similar principle of laminated stocks far more resin surface areas than actual wood surfaces .

I don't know all the tell tale symptoms of a stock which is in need of a cross bolt .

Although if part of the metal action was wearing or rubbing into a previous area of the stock which was untouched , that might either make me tighten the action down further or consider a cross bolt .

I've seen heavy recoil calibers fracture the finish around cross bolts in wooden stocks , especially if they were to small to begin with .

This is a Very good question for A Real Gunsmith !.

I just know composites and am NOT any kind of Smith . Although I like to think I am , then I wake up !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I take it you mean it isn't shooting well and you suspect the stock is flexing. Cross bolts won't affect stock flexing in that regard; they only stop wood from splitting. I doubt they would do a lot of good if a synthetic stock is cracking because the fibers are multi-directional, not linear (Even injection-molded stocks have polymer fibers in the plastic).

I'm not familiar with that stock so I can't make specific recommendations but you certainly can bed it some way or other.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
OK Fellas,

What are the symptoms of a rifle with a synthetic stock that it needs cross bolts?

Any chance that a stock without cross bolts could deform enough under recoil to affect grouping?

(Rifle weighs 9 pounds and generates abt 40 lb-ft of recoil in a commercial FN action. Is in a Fajens synthetic stock.)

Thanks!

Too be honest, I would rather see a synthetic stock held together with duct tape than cross bolts. Big Grin Doesn't say much for the composite stock that need cross bolts.

Is that the $73.95 stock from Midway? I would recommend for anything producing serious recoil, to begin with a good quality composite stock. Tupperware stocks are unstable for much over a 22 cal. And I mean .22 LR. Big Grin

If it's a matter of money, sell the Fajen and step up to at least a Ramline stock. I believe Midway is blowing these out for about $85.00. These are way far and above the typical $74.00 tupperware stock and will easily handle 40 ft lbs of recoil.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Years ago bought a Ramline stock from the factory outside of Denver. Its been on a Rem700 in .375 H&H Mag for well over 1,000 rounds of jacketed and at least that in cast. I've got grandsons who love to shoot that rifle. The stock is in as good a shape as the day I bought it. No cross-bolts, just good bedding.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used the stock on .264 Win Mag, 338-06, 9,3x62, .376/.416 Steyr Improved (.416 Aagaard), and .458 AR. The ,416 Aagaard is pushing a 350 gr bullet at abt 2300 from a 22" bbl. Recoil calculated to about that of a .375 H&H but feels sharper.

The composition of the Fajen's stock seems to be a fiber in polypropylene. Is pretty tough material. They were on sale at Midway for $43 each. About what an old retired guy can afford. At that price they do not have aluminum bedding blocks.

Seems to be ok on the other four rifles. The first three do not make as much recoil and the .458 AR has some additional strenghtening. As the lower recoil calibers seem to be doing OK and the lower the recoil the more consistent the impact results seem be ... I was wondering if the action is shifting in the stock during recoil.

It is bedded with epoxy loaded with stainless steel powder, has an aluminum pillar in the rear. Barrel does not move very much at all if the front action screw is loosened. Bedding should not be touching the front of the action's recoil lug now. Barrel has no additional recoil lug. Barrel is floated.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Mike, that's a hell of a price. You should be fine. Sounds like you have the bedding down so I wouldn't worry about it unless things begin to loosen up. Is there an accuracy issue going on that you think might be stock related?

Malm, er, Westpac.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote