THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Winchester Model 54....tell me why I shouldn't buy this rifle?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 54....tell me why I shouldn't buy this rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted
1929? Model 54, 30 of 1906, has a receiver sight mounted on the left side(factory drill and tap, anyone?). Aftermarket recoil pad.

I can't seem to find much of anything on these rifles, other than they were the precursor to the 70.

Are the striker/safeties interchangeable - I don't care for the flag safety...bottom metal interchangeable?

Help...the price seems right $345

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
For $345, you pretty much can't go wrong. The price on model 54's has shot up in the last couple of years. The receiver sight may be worth 100 bucks or more by itself. The bottom metal can be replace with model 70 parts. They had a couple of different firing pin styles with the earlier version being 2 piece and the latter more like the model 70.

I like the safety and it is small enough to work with a scope. I believe the front ring was factory d&t. I'm sure you've discovered that the trigger mechanism also houses the bolt stop.

Good shooting,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The price is perfect to earn a little profit. Buy and sell it to me as quick as you can. Don't even shoot it! Mostly becouse when you do you will fall in love with it and never think of selling it.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
fireball

At that price look at it like this, people will give that for a Savage that shoots or a Remington action alone, neither of which come close to an m54 in workmanship or style. If you don't want it let me know.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Now I might get a 30-06 in 54 real nice rifle for 495.00. Need to call the guy and see if he will go any lower?

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Its one of those deals that just makes you step back for a minute and look things over. Didn't know much about the 54, and after playing on the internet for a couple of hours - still don't know much more...

I agree, for the money it sounds great, just don't know much about them.

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
The 54 was Winchester's first high power bolt action sporting rifle. The model 70 is basically the same action except the model 70 has a redesigned trigger, bolt stop, firing pin and bottom metal. Also the model 70 doesn't have the stripper clip guides. The 54 is an excellent example of vintage Winchester craftsmanship.

Weagle

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Here's an excellent article on the model 54.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3623/is_200006/ai_n8888108

I also forgot that the 54 was introduced in conjunction with the .270 win chambering.

Weagle

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Buy it !
I passed several over the years and regret it.
But hell I want to own damn new every quality
bolt action I touch thumb

Seriously buy it.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
1929? Model 54, 30 of 1906, has a receiver sight mounted on the left side(factory drill and tap, anyone?). Aftermarket recoil pad.

I can't seem to find much of anything on these rifles, other than they were the precursor to the 70.

Are the striker/safeties interchangeable NO!- I don't care for the flag safety...bottom metal interchangeable?No. M54 bottom metal is stamped, like the M721-722 Remingtons.

Help...the price seems right $345

It's worth it - the M54's are good rifles.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK so hopefully you bought it.
I know you will love it but if you don't and want to make a little profit please let me know.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy it if its in decent shape....You can't do much about the safty but its just fine with the receiver or iron sights, there is a safty conversion that was made at one time by ? (slips my mind)but they are impossible to find these days...

The existing safty will barely work and only with some scope mount combinations, but at best it doesn't work well...and you have to d & t the rifle and that hurts its collector value..

Just buy it and shoot it, enjoy it as iss or send to me and I'll give you a hundred dollar bill profit and pay the shipping if its in good condition.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original bolt handles were bent down, many were modified by welding on a new one or changing the original to clear low scopes. If the side sight is a 48 wjs and the stock is the schnable forend with a cut out for the sight slide its probably original--too bad the steel plate was removed. Buehler used to make a 2 pos wing sapety for use with scopes, not sure if they are still available.

Here's an exploded view of an original for reference:
http://www.webdelsol.com/DIAGRAM/1_1/winchester.html

I have a 1927 30 Govt'06 M54 that is just a pleasure to shoot with the Lyman sight--makes those doe hunts a real treat. Buy the rifle!

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...tell me why I shouldn't buy this rifle?

quote:
1929? Model 54, 30 of 1906, ...
Hey fireball168, It sure seems like the folks ahead of me mis-read your post. Seems as if they are all saying buy the rifle, or here are reasons to buy it to me.

But, since you asked "tell me why I shouldn't buy this rifle?", here goes:

1. Do you know the previous owner(s) and how he cared for the rifle? No, not the obvious external rust and termites, how `bout that throat?

2. Speaking of rust and termites, have you looked for rust with the stock removed?

3. Have you had the Bolt apart to see what condition it is in?

4. Did the previous owner(s) shoot it as fast as he could while the barrel was hot?

5. Did the previous owner(s) "Lap the Bore" to remove/hide pits?

6. Was the previous owner(s) a reloader that believed in Full Throttle Loads for every shot?

7. How is the Headspace?

8. Has the barrel been set-back a thread?.

9. Do the Markings appear to be original or re-stamped?

10. Has it been re-blued?

10a. Why?

11. Has the termite food stock been re-finished?

11a. Why?

12. Is the recoil pad in complete alignment all the way around?

13. Does the front sling swivel stud make contact with the barrel?

14. Is the barrel completely free-floated?

14a. If it is, why?

15. Has the stock been bedded outside the factory?

15a. Was it done to repair or hide a split in the termite food stock?

16. Is the trigger original?

16a. Any rust, built-up trash or residue within the recesses of that trigger?

And last but certainly not least,

17. How much "Cumulative Metal Fatigue" does it have from all the 76 years of being used, or abused?

If you don't have good answers for all those questions about that specific rifle, then they become reasons not to buy it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

I was actually looking for more information about the 54 than anything else, but all the points you brought up would certainly be valid for anybody looking at anything potentially collectible.

I've got a "bad" habit, of customizing nearly everything in the safe - and the only reason I was really interested at all was thinking of another custom project on this action. Based on what I've got from this post so far, that wouldn't happen.

As far as collectibility, it certainly has some flaws, but for the money its still appealing(to me).

Frank/Ray if you're interested in this rifle - I'll pass along the retailer information to you. I like Wild Turkey & Basil Hayden's beer

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got a "bad" habit, of customizing nearly everything in the safe - and the only reason I was really interested at all was thinking of another custom project on this action. Based on what I've got from this post so far, that wouldn't happen.

I would agree that if you want to customize it, you are better off with a rifle with readily-available parts.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I was actually looking for more information about the 54 than anything else, but all the points you brought up would certainly be valid for anybody looking at anything potentially collectible.
I see what you mean about the questions concerning if it is collectible. Hadn't thought of it in that respect. I was thinking of the rifle being something someone might want to use "as is".

Needless to say, I'm partial to "new from the factory" firearms, since I generally can not answer the previous questions on a used firearm.

quote:
I've got a "bad" habit, of customizing nearly everything in the safe - and the only reason I was really interested at all was thinking of another custom project on this action. Based on what I've got from this post so far, that wouldn't happen. ...
Yes, customizing one to have it exactly as you want it sure is nice and can be done in just about any price range a person wants.

Best of luck to you on whatever you get.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
One reason not to buy it if you intend to hunt with it, is the trigger. One of the worst triggers I have ever used. Almost like a two-stage military trigger. The redesign of the trigger to the excellent Model 70 trigger was one of the biggest improvements they made.

Jim

"Learn to disagree without being disagreeable" - Ronald Reagan 1981

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Dog, there is nothing wrong with a good two stage military trigger, it is what was used on National Match Springfields and NRA Sporters.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote