THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Photographic course on gold wire inlay.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Very nice indeed. Your description and photographs were very well handled. Could you also include an overview so we can see where this cut is made in relationship the the gun? Thank you for the effort.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That very nicely illustrates the process. Was that hand or machine work ? Please send photo of finished work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! To actually see how it is done is great. I knew that there had to be something cut into the groove to hold the gold in under recoil, doing a dovetail on each side is brilliant, as I can't imagine it would ever be able to find its way out. I too am curious about silver being done the same way?

Have you ever used Krugerands (spelling?)? The color is more of a red gold, but they too are supposed to be bullion, so might work as well as the maple leaf, just a different color. I haven't had any around for years or I would send you one to look at.

Now, how about the fancy animals, how do you anchor them into the metal?

Thanks very very much for this post.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Roger
you are amazing, thank you for sharing!!!
jeffe

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Here are a couple of photos that show the completed inlay on the side of the action.

A couple of people have asked it this procedure will work with silver. It will work with any type of inlay that is soft enough to swage into the dovetail without distorting the gunmetal.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote