THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    rem 700 failing to fire ,until bolt handle is turned.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem 700 failing to fire ,until bolt handle is turned.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I built a switch barrel rig on a rem 700 short action, xlr chassie 300 blk , 458 socom , 260 rem. two bolts a ptg with 223 bolt head works fine, the 308 bolt head just had the handle re soldered on.
First 10 rounds were fine,then i heard a click at the trigger pull, but the rifle did not fire, that is until I lifted the bolt handle to eject what I thought was a bad round. I was able to make it repeat this It has a jewel varmit trigger with their safety.Any Ideas what to look at.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would surmise that when the bolt handle was soldered on it was out of time with the lugs. The nose of the cocking piece may be hitting the cocking cam and not slipping into it's groove. Thus the FTF.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I am assuming you can duplicate this at the work bench without ammo? It sounds like a trigger adjustment issue. Where it worked 10 times before failing, I would suspect a trigger issue. Maybe an adjustment or piece of foreign material. Simple check for the trigger, pull the bolt and then hold the trigger to the rear while pushing down on the sear to make sure the sear is dropping completely. Make sure there isn't any interference between the lever and the sear. If the sear fails to fall, then back off the over travel screw and continue testing.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
I would surmise that when the bolt handle was soldered on it was out of time with the lugs. The nose of the cocking piece may be hitting the cocking cam and not slipping into it's groove. Thus the FTF.

I can see were that would do it, but why did it work for the first 10 shots, I am going to pull it down tomarrow. You can see photo's of the rifle in night vision forum

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but why did it work for the first 10 shots,

You may have varied the handle location when you closed the bolt and placed your hand back on the stock. The handle might have been slightly raised or your knuckle may have bumped it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote