New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Handles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does the bolt handle on the mauser actions act as a locking lug as sorts in the down postion?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Probably more as a safety lug.

Course I guess "fit" could make it bear upon closing!

LouisB

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
SInce there is generally no metal behind the bolt handle when down, it can't act either as a locking lug or safety lug. FN commercial actions have a little metal in that area (notch in the action) but I wouldn't rely on it for anything.

<JBelk>
posted
Dave---

In a word, no. On all original Mausers there was no cut-out for the bolt handle at all. The M-98 has a third lug just ahead of the bolt handle. It should have between .015 and .020 clearance in its seat.......IOW, not touching anything.

The very first thing to check on a sporter M-98 for accuracy is the fit of the bolt handle in it's clearance slot. It should take NO pressure from bolt thrust on firing. None at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk.the reason I ask is I have an nice action that has the straight bolt,and am thinking of building up a 416Taylor or 458 Win.I am left handed but find I can work the bolt rather quickly by rolling the rifle to the left a little,and as long as it isn't required to have the bolt turned down I think it may be the next project.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
JBelk.the reason I ask is I have an nice action that has the straight bolt,and am thinking of building up a 416Taylor or 458 Win.I am left handed but find I can work the bolt rather quickly by rolling the rifle to the left a little,and as long as it isn't required to have the bolt turned down I think it may be the next project.

The reason they are turned down is for looks and scope clearance [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tstrum,
You ever hunt horseback, another good reason to turn them down.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Tstrum,
You ever hunt horseback, another good reason to turn them down.

You bet, another good reason to use a highwall or a Marlin [Big Grin]

Ten hours in the saddle with a bolt handle rubbing on your thigh or a fat forearm, makes for a miserable hunt. I stick to using my 336 cowboy in 38-55 if I'm going to be hunting from my hairy beasts.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am left handed also, and using a mauser with its bolt handle unaltered is somewhat easier, but it looks like hell. And then there is the issue of where do you put the scope. You can do a Scout type mount and get away with leaving the bolt handle unaltered. I have hunted afoot with an unaltered mauser, and the bolt handle didnt get in the way to much, until you go thru brush.
So if you plan on using iron sights or a scout mount, you can leave the bolt handle alone.

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote