Find
Notify
Tools

pillars & glass!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I am getting ready to install some pillars and then glass bed my first stock...an old model 70 .300 H&H.

It needs the stock refinished (which I am very good at) anyway and the old action screw holes look like they have absorbed lots of gun oil over the years and are bedraggled.

So...while I have it stripped...I want to drill out the holes and install some aluminum pillars the glass bed it.

Anybody got suggestions on the best pillars and bedding material??? Or a set of instructions to follow?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Anybody got suggestions on the best pillars and bedding material??? Or a set of instructions to follow?

I turn my own pillars from 6061T6 bar stock, but Brownell's sells them pre made. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...s/All/search=pillars

I use Acraglas Gel for general bedding and Devcon 10270 epoxy for heavier duty applications.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx.../All/search=acraglas

http://www.devcon.com/products...l%20Putty%20%28ST%29

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use Acraglas Gel for general bedding and Devcon 10270 epoxy for heavier duty applications.
X2 tu2

Nearly any Devcon Epoxy is an outstanding choice for whatever ones needs may be regarding Rifle bedding of actions , securing stock fractures or fore end adhesion issues .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Devcon was going to be my choice.

Any procedural tips would be great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Devcon was going to be my choice.

Any procedural tips would be great!

If possible, I prefer to set the pillars and do the bedding in one shot. But until you gain some experience I would recommend setting the pillars first, and then perform the bedding as a separate operation.

If they are fit correctly the ends of the pillars will likely be angled to their body so be sure to mark each pillar so that you know which way they sit.

Place the waxed action in the stock, degrease and apply the epoxy to the pillars. Once you are satisfied that the correct pillar is in the correct hole and seated correctly, button it up. Don't forget to use plenty of paste wax on the screws.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Go here: http://www.scorehi.com/

All the info you'll need. Charlie's products work very well.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of people using hollow threaded lamp rod cut to length as pillars. Makes sense to me, it would certainly offer something for the epoxy to grab.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have just done a few rifles a a hobby & they have all come out very well (with one cock up that had to be redone!) I use the old agri sprayer lances - brass tubes and cut them to size. The bedding compound I prefer is Bisonite wit steel. http://www.championshooters.co...hp?manufacturerid=18

I prefer Bisonite to Accraglass or Marine epoxy.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11217 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote