Find
Notify
Tools

1903 turkish M-98 / high charger hump
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
I was poking around a gun shop the other day and bumped into a 1903 Turk M-98 with a very high charger hump. I thought it was a peruvian.
The guy in the shop assured me it was a turk.
It's got the star and cresant. It looked to be in good shape for a doner. It is a large ring receiver, until I pull it apart I can only assume it is large ring barrel thread.

I remember a Peruvian by Burgess with the high hump. It has a cool look.

I like the odd stuff, so I bought it.

It might make an interesting 404 Jeffery with the high hump left on it. Just bouncing some ideas around for it.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Burgess Peruvian, now in the hands of ForrestB. I like the looks of the high hump.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
A Peruvian that Duane Wiebe did where we left the charger hump in place.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=316100279#316100279

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a large ring receiver, until I pull it apart I can only assume it is large ring barrel thread.

Timan, the 1903 Turk has small ring barrel threads. At least every one I took apart did.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yeah,

I like em better with the hump in place.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Yeah,

I cry every time I read an ad for an action that states that the charger hump has been ground.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Yeah,

I cry every time I read an ad for an action that states that the charger hump has been ground.

I don't but, in this case, the high hump is unique enough to warrant keeping.

For many folks, once their eyes get to a certain point, a scope is darn near mandatory.

What makes me cry is buggered scope base holes. For some reason, they are drawn to the nicer actions. I really hate seeing a nice Banner action that has not only been drilled, but been drilled on the face of the lug seat. That hurts!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
For many folks, once their eyes get to a certain point, a scope is darn near mandatory.

Even with a scope I like to see the charger hump retained. It is a little more work to fit the bases, but mausers just don't look right without the hump.

Clearly many people disagree. I just wish I they would give me their ground off charger humps so that I could put them on my FNs.
Big Grin

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

Even with a scope I like to see the charger hump retained. It is a little more work to fit the bases, but mausers just don't look right without the hump.

I agree 100%. With the charger hump removed, a rear base looks very towering. With it left on, the same base has a bit more transition that makes them look shorter - to me at least.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
From what I gather here the 03 Turk is worth having.
After clean up the turk and the peruvian become equal. Yes or no, There is one cut differant.
At the back of the front ring. It seems they went a bit hog wild with that cut.
Weld in and reheat treat, or no.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the back of the front ring. It seems they went a bit hog wild with that cut

I kinda like the notch. It tells a little bit about the history of the gun when the Turks changed it over from 7.65x53 Belgian to 8x57.
YMMV.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I hate the charger hump, to each his own I guess.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
Personally I hate the charger hump, to each his own I guess.

Your are far from alone in hating the charge hump. The vast majority agree with you. But, as with so many things, the majority is dead wrong.
Wink

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Burgess Peruvian, now in the hands of ForrestB.

How come Forrest ALWAYS ends up with the great toys!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:
Burgess Peruvian, now in the hands of ForrestB.

How come Forrest ALWAYS ends up with the great toys!

We've all seen your collection of fine rifles, so we can't feel too bad for you.
Wink

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
From what I gather here the 03 Turk is worth having.
After clean up the turk and the peruvian become equal. Yes or no, There is one cut differant.
At the back of the front ring. It seems they went a bit hog wild with that cut.
Weld in and reheat treat, or no.
Timan

are you referring to the threading relief cut behind the receiver threads and before the lugs?

if so, from what I have seen here on AR from you, it would seem to be no harder for you to cut it to large ring threads than it would be to weld and reheat. since it is a LR OD, it would mske sense to me to go with the LR threads.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
No, he's talking about the notch at the top of the back of the front ring, so that the longer 8x57 could still be loaded using stripper clips.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
That's right mike.
and
On the top of the charger there is a V notch sight.
The bore looks good on this one only slight darkness.
8x57
It's a shooter as is.
I would be kinda fun to take hunting and reblood it.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
That's right mike.
and
On the top of the charger there is a V notch sight.
The bore looks good on this one only slight darkness.
8x57
It's a shooter as is.
I would be kinda fun to take hunting and reblood it.

Someone decided to make the charger a rear sight. Hmm.

I've toyed with the idea of adding a peep in the stripper slot.

I started to make on into a .338 Federal, open sights of course. But, the barrel I received was bad. Never had the time to finish it. This time around I think I might go with the 9.3x57.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but...

For a scoped rifle remove the hump.

For an open sighted rifle, leave it on.

Form follows function. If the top is left open I would want it to be ready and able to load from a stripper clip even if I never did it that way. Once D&Ted for a scope the reason for having it there is kind of moot.

That said, I certainly don't object to leaving it on a scoped rifle. As the photos of Duane Weibe's build attest, it can still look unobjectionable, and indeed very nice on a scoped rifle when done well.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Someone decided to make the charger a rear sight. Hmm.

I've toyed with the idea of adding a peep in the stripper slot.

I went "hmmmmm", too.

Interesting.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote