Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser trigger problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
So I have a new (c. 1962 but unfired) commercial Mauser barrelled action in .300 Win. Mag.. The only markings are "Alaskan Rifles Made in Belgium" and the Belgian proof marks. The rifle was put together by Dumoulin according to the original packing box. Most Dumoulins I have seen were on a FN commercial action, but this one has no FN markings.

I am installing a Timney FN Featherweight Deluxe trigger with side safety. The problem is when the trigger is mounted and the front screw turned enough to engage the action bottom, the bolt is very hard to close. And after you pull the trigger you cannot lift the bolt handle unless you put pressure on the trigger while lifting the bolt.

After closing the bolt the trigger works correctly, including the safety, although the bolt is hard to close.

With the trigger removed the bolt goes in and out normally.

I had disassembled the bolt completely including the shroud etc.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Could I have done something wrong with the bolt reassembly? Might I have to shim the trigger? Might this trigger not work at all?

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Its been my experience that you'll have to open the trigger sear hole in the receiver slightly.

If you remove the bolt, pull back on the trigger, and push down on the sear with a pick/punch/pencil whatever - I'll bet you see it contacting the receiver - usually towards the front of the sear hole.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may need to open the sear in the action. As for the bolt being hard to open and depressing the trigger, I suspect what you have is the wrong cocking piece that won't allow the trigger sear to pass under it unless the trigger is pressed.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll try to look at it up close, everything is original with the exception of the Timney trigger.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote