Find
Notify
Tools

MINWAX HELMSMAN ? Chic ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Has anyone tried Minwax Helsman spar urethane as a stock sealer? What about Minwax pre-stain wood conditioner on Maple to get a more even ( less blotchy ) stain? Chic? Ray?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug, I haven't used that product but I expect it would do very well. Unless forced at gun point (sometimes a hefty check folded to a sharp point works also), I don't do Maple.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong. The Helmsman will be used on Walnut. Wink The pre-stain to try to take the ugly blocked stain out of a maple stock after sanding it completely down. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I tried it on a set of grips that had true oil as a finish and it just globed up.
The old finish may cause some problems.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug-

Do you have a WoodCraft store by you??? I was fortunate enough to walk in there and get free sample packets of Waterlox Tung Oil Varnish. These have a retail value of 3-5 bucks apiece.

The fellow gave me a bag and said "load it up- we need the room..." I got about 20 packets in high gloss,sealer, and satin. Made my day,too.

As a woodworker, I am down on Minwax products- I feel it is the cheapest stuff going and results are below average (perfect for the weekend warrior)... I know you demand better.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting to get a nice even stain on maple try using an analine dye. You will get very consistent and even staining of the wood. The problem with most of the Minwax stains is they have a very high solid contend that is the "stain" component in it. An analine dye actually dissolves into what ever base you are using and doesnt give you a blotchy look. You do have to make sure you are using the proper type of dye for the right base. Analine dies are available in water, alchohol, and oil bases. They usually come in a very fine powder form and if you are lucky in a concentrated liquid can be found at times. The really nice thing is that you can buy several coloers of dye and make your own custom stains. That comes in very handy if you have some ligher wood and need it to match the surrounding wood.

You can get every thing you need from Wood Crafters, Wood Workers Supply, or similar wood working stores. You arent going to find analine dyes at your local Home Depot though.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Minwax Helsman spar urethane spray to finish Boyd's laminate stocks and it works wonderfully. The brush on variety I cut with mineral spirts to use as a barrel channel sealer after floating.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote