THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Machining a barrel nut thread on a Remington barrel

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Machining a barrel nut thread on a Remington barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
Begara is planning on selling barrels for Remingtons, that will be set up to use a barrel nut, Savage style...

for you machinist types, how hard would it really be to thread an existing barrel so that it can also use a barrel nut?

I am assuming that it is just extending the current threads, and one needs a barrel nut threaded to the same pitch..

or am I missing something?

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
Begara is planning on selling barrels for Remingtons, that will be set up to use a barrel nut, Savage style...

for you machinist types, how hard would it really be to thread an existing barrel so that it can also use a barrel nut?

I am assuming that it is just extending the current threads, and one needs a barrel nut threaded to the same pitch..

or am I missing something?

That's all there is to it, extend the threads and make yourself a barrel nut to fit. As far as difficulty, on a scale of 0 - 10, with 10 being God awful scary, it is a .5, maybe.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Just as westpac says but with one other issue.
So long as there is no relief groove at the end of the existing threads next to the shoulder. i.e. Mauser style.
This would leave a gap in the threadsand albeit if the nut is long enough it could bridge this with ease. It is just something to keep in mind.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta ask why??? But then again I know the answer, but yet, WHY?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 03 February 2010 17:50 Hide Post

so it can be as ugly as a savage barrel nut Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
quote:
Posted 03 February 2010 17:50 Hide Post

so it can be as ugly as a savage barrel nut Big Grin

Yep!!! that's it

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:

Function has beauty to me..

I don't see a barrel nut on a Savage as pretty or ugly.. its like picking out which hammer has the prettiest handle...got it for function, not looks..

if my Remington's can have the same switch barrel functionality as I am enjoying on a Savage or two I own, that would be a cheaper route than selling some rifles I like, to purchase some newer ones..

first I am against the price of newer rifles..
secondly, once I have a stock and trigger set up for an action the way I want it, why start over from scratch?

my several Remingtons have after market stocks.

and finally I can thin out the battery, without having to give up the calibers I like to shoot.

sell one rifle that is expendable and end up with a couple of barrels for a rifle I like....

then the wife is happy I have fewer firearms..
and she will be totally clueless, of me still having all the calibers I like to shoot..

she has her secrets, I have mine. Big Grin

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
like i didn't have enough to piddle with! I went to the shop & turned this out in about 10 minutes. All i had was a Savage barrel nut. Not going to take the time to make one with 16 TPI same as the remi. I did the same way as savage does. IF i were to do one for real I would make a barrel nut with 16 TPI as descussed earlier. With this one I just started where the rem threads ended & started the 20 TPI savage threads for their nut. This conversion would be a piece of cake.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-the "new" Savage nut is smooth, no segments as on the old variety.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
the "new" Savage nut is smooth, no segments as on the old variety.

They DO look much nicer that the one that I used.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
the "new" Savage nut is smooth, no segments as on the old variety.

They DO look much nicer that the one that I used.

The old ones are fine with me- the Savages can shoot, and that can upgrade a rifle's looks appreciably Smiler

The company is smart in that they have paid attention to what their customers are saying.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
i realize you want something that you can change barrels on faster then the stock setup.
But you still need to turn back the shoulder and continue with the threads and make a nut.

This doesn't make replacing a worn barrel easier as the amount of work is near equal. The only advantage is being able to adjust the headspace within a small window so reaming the chamber deeper is not needed.

I don't understand? You still need a lathe to make this work. And if you already have a lathe why not just barrel the rifle in the conventional manner?
Unless you want to swap barrels often and change calibers?

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:

So how does the wrench find purchase on this smooth nut?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
i realize you want something that you can change barrels on faster then the stock setup.
But you still need to turn back the shoulder and continue with the threads and make a nut.

This doesn't make replacing a worn barrel easier as the amount of work is near equal. The only advantage is being able to adjust the headspace within a small window so reaming the chamber deeper is not needed.

I don't understand? You still need a lathe to make this work. And if you already have a lathe why not just barrel the rifle in the conventional manner?

Yes, I believe that is the goal.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:

So how does the wrench find purchase on this smooth nut?

-has a single hole, uses a wrench that has a single stud on it to match.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:

exactly!

I have multiple Remington barrels, that are take offs..

and 5 actions..

3 short.. and 2 Long Actions

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well I guess if you have that kind of time on your hands. I don't and if I was to get a rifle that I could swap barrels like that it would be a side by side (which would really be expensive) or a Thompson contender. Either way with the barrel work readjusting the scope or sights. Too much work for me.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Weaver Bases & rings make changing a scope easy..

barrels would be more for seasonal work.. or when the mood for one type of cartridge interests me for a while, over another..

such as a 22.250 barrel going on what is currently a 7/08

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Remington is not that difficult to change, particularly if it is already set up for that action. I've seen bench rest shooters change barrels at the range using a portable barrel vise.

I don't see the advantage here. There won't be much difference in difficulty to cut the barrel for a Savage nut vs. fitting to the shoulder in the standard fashion. Either system requires an investment in tooling of some kind.

Then again, it's your party.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a knurled nut tightened with a strap wrench?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
I saw these Remington barrels at the Begara booth at the SHOT Show. I didn't notice a hole for a spanner wrench on the smooth (Remington) barrel nut so I asked the Rep. about tightening and he mentioned a strap wrench.

I may be mistaken...but I just can't imagine a basic strap wrench getting the nut tight enough to do its job on a barrel / action.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
Weaver Bases & rings make changing a scope easy..

barrels would be more for seasonal work.. or when the mood for one type of cartridge interests me for a while, over another..

such as a 22.250 barrel going on what is currently a 7/08

Yes the scope is swapped easily but it would still need to be dialed in. i.e. re zeroed. Not a process I care to undertake very often. and you would have to do it every time the barrel is changed. Unless you barrel mount the scope.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Yes the scope is swapped easily but it would still need to be dialed in. i.e. re zeroed. Not a process I care to undertake very often. and you would have to do it every time the barrel is changed.

would the leupold "boresighter" posted here ( http://www.leupold.com/hunting...minated-boresighter/ ) help with the pesky re-zeroing? my understanding of this product is that once you have a barrel/scope sighted in, you make note of the position of the crosshairs on the grid. you can then, when you change scopes/etc, simply match the crosshairs back up to what your chart says...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The scope and bore sighter would have to be mounted in exactly the same place every time. 1 MOA is .001 over 4" a rough dimension between the rings. There are no systems out there that I know of that can relocate the scope that accurately

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunCat:
I saw these Remington barrels at the Begara booth at the SHOT Show. I didn't notice a hole for a spanner wrench on the smooth (Remington) barrel nut so I asked the Rep. about tightening and he mentioned a strap wrench.

I may be mistaken...but I just can't imagine a basic strap wrench getting the nut tight enough to do its job on a barrel / action.

You don't have to make that barrel nut that tight, a strap wrench will do it easily.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
A Remington is not that difficult to change, particularly if it is already set up for that action. I've seen bench rest shooters change barrels at the range using a portable barrel vise.

Yes, I've also seen highpower shooters swap barrels between matches!

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Wow is this thread two years old. It seem like yesterday I was posting on it. Holly crap time flys.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't necessarily agree with the original poster's idea; what it boils down to is "Want" over "Need". Just seems like a lot of BS and somebody wanting something "neat" to show at the range.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Kobe I see you point but if the customer's paying you. How much does that opinion matter at that point?? I know I've tried to talk some customers out of some weird stuff.

I do like how a Savage is designed for a utility gun. But the whole rezeroing of scopes negates the whole concept. Now barrel mounted iron sights would make the conversion a little easier. But in reality what are you saving?

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just put a cantilever scope mount on the barrel and don't touch the scope. Seeing you are remaching barrels and making lock nuts, why not do the base too? Still doesn't make much sense to me unless you are restricted on how many guns you can own.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Just put a cantilever scope mount on the barrel and don't touch the scope. Seeing you are remaching barrels and making lock nuts, why not do the base too? Still doesn't make much sense to me unless you are restricted on how many guns you can own.
Don

Isn't that what TC done with their new switch barrel, with barrel nut system?

I have a friend that made an AR 15 a switch barrel. He eliminated the direct impingement gas system and manually operates the bolt. He uses a side bolt conversion for easier manipulation rather then the original charging handle. He told me that really didn't have to screw the barrel nut in that tight.