New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 savage on a Mini Mark X
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this has been discussed here before but for the life of me I can't find any of the previous threads on the subject. Will the Mini Mark X action handle the 250 Savage with 100gr. Partition bullets assuming I start with one set up for the 22-250? I am thinking of starting with a new Daly mini mark x action. My affection for the quarter bore keeps growing and I've decided I just have to have a 250 Savage. Thanks for your input.

Craig

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The Mini Mark X action isn't large enough to accomodate the 250. Bolt face diameter too small, magazine too small. The Mexican Mauser is a great action for the 250. The 6x45 (223 necked up to 6mm) is a nice round for the Mini Mark X.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Charles Daly website lists them set up for the 22-250. That means the bolt face is okay, not sure about mag length.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall the original thread and remember thinking what a great idea it was. I could just see the ultra-featherweight 250 AI I was going to build. Here's the original thread: http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB53&Number=494927&Forum=f53&Words="mini%20mauser"&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=494927&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=5&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post494927

Yes, the Charles Daly site lists the 22-250 as one of the rounds that will fit the mini-action, but I understand that it is simply inaccurate. Based on the previous discussion, that the bolt diameter is only marginally larger than the Savage case diameter and the magazine is both too narrow and too short.

Damn, but it would make one neat little rifle if you could make it work!

one of us
posted Hide Post
While the case will fit, COL for .22-250 is 2.350 while the .250 is 2.515 making it tight fit for the magazine length of 2.370. I think you'd be giving up too much of the .250's versatility in that action. They do to offer a mid-sized action with a 2.875 length magazine and that would allow even 117 grain bullets seated long to be accomodated.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The bolt face is too small and the magazine is too short, maybe too narrow too:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I know you didn't necessarily ask this, but...

Try finding a cheap Rem 722, 700, or 7 (in that order) and have Pac-nor put on a nice light contour like the 700 mountain rifle barrel, say 22-23" long. Have them throat it out a bit so it can handle 115-120s better (and the 100s too). You might as well throat it longer as the factory ammo is not impressive. Work up some loads in 22-250 brass to 52,000 CUP and you will Bob+P performance without the OAL issues. Anyway, JMO...

Good luck.

<Guest>
posted
Craig

If you just have to have a .250/3000 on a short action mauser, see if you can get ahold of a copy of the November 2003 issue of Outdoor Life Magazine. In there is a great article written by Jim Carmichal in which he talks about the military mauser action he had shortened to .250 Savage length by Ron Lampert and then stocked by the late Don Allen. There is a great picture of that rifle on page 69. It is wonderful, and if you can find somebody to shorten an action for you that might be the way to go.

Another thought would be to figure out a way to lessen the diameter on one of these new Winchester 70 short actions that are used for the 25 Caliber line of cartridges.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
and less costly to buy a Kimber 84 and rebarrel? They're about the size of a Mini Mauser, and are pretty much ready to go, otherwise.

Cooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Craig,
I know the idea of yours re: the Mini Mk10 for a small case gun is nice but I will agree with the rest that the action isn`t designed to accomodate the slightly larger 250 Sav case. You "might" be able to make it work but the mag is just too short for the loaded 250 case. The accepted OAL for the 7.62x39 cartridge is just about the same as the case length[empty] of the 250 Sav. ---2.190. Add the bullet and there`s trouble.I have two shortened Mausers like the old Kurz style. Both made for the 250 Sav or the older 6.5 Mauser. One has the "Banner" on the bridge and the other is just a plain Jane Oberndorf but still nice. Someday[?] these will be customs if I live long enough. Look on the auctions and you might come across one which would work for your project. As one of the others posted, the Rem SA 700, 722 or even better, a Sako 579 will work too. Aloha, Mark[in Or]

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hmm,
for my own ideas...

what about a 50 beowolf?

Scott?

jeffe

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber of Oregon model 84 that was converted by Sterling Davenport to accommodate the 250 Savage. I was stocked in an extremely fine piece of French walnut. It took milling out the magazine well, making a new magazine box, opening the bolt face from .223 to 250 Savage. It is a remarkable rifle and with a Zeiss fixed 6 power scope, the rifle weighs 6 lbs.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless your prepared to drop a bundle on that rifle, you might want to consider just buying a Ruger 77 International in 250 Savage..I see them quite often on GunsAmerica and in the gunlist...Neat little gun for sure.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw exactly what you are talking about, a 250 sav on an opened up 223 Mini. It was done by Al Straitiff, worthwhile? Thats up to you.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best approach although the most expensive if you cannot find a Kurtz action Mauser, is to cut a G33/40 in half and shorten it for the 250-3000 round..That would make a really nice rifle...You could dump $8,000 into such a project without even trying, and more would be easy....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Ray

I have to disagree just a little bit. I happen to own a few G.33/40 actions and have called around to check on the very same thing. Yes, there are folks who would charge $8000 for a full custom job, but you could also have the basic metal work done for about $800.00 if you supply the action and a barrel. A VZ-33 is also a nice action, as would be Turk Mauser action that is in good condition. Another action that would work very well would be a Small Ring Mexican Action (I believe its the 1936 model that has the Springfield type bolt knob.) A real nice barrel to use would be a featherweight 25 caliber Douglas Premium Barrel as those are real nice too.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
the 36 and the 54 Mexican have the Springfield type knob, Blue. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wll I see my question was definately answered. I wondered about the magazine length and my suspicions were spot on. Thanks for the help guys. I'll get that 250 soon, but the project may have taken a back seat as I just found another rifle I may just need to have...but thats for my next thread. Thanks again guys.

Craig

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote