Notify
Tools

Extractor Removal From The P14/17 Bolt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Greetings Faithful Gunsmiths,

I am going to lose the "beak" style extractor currently on the p14 bolt in my accidentally purchased .375 H&H and replace it with a P17 extractor.

The question:

How do I get the damned thing OFF?! Do I need a special tool?

Thank you.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger Same as removing a mauser extractor. Rotate the extractor out of the retaining groove and tap it forward. Most P-14 extractors are very tight. Also the p-17 extractor is considerably wider. If your rifle has a p-14 extractor now it will have some relief either milled or filed in the barrel (forward sloping slot).The p17 extractor will be too wide to fit in this slot.This will require removing the barrel and widening the slot.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
RR--

Snowman got it right. The extractor slots are different in the butt of the barrel.

To remove any M-98-pattern extractor---

Rotate the extractor until the foot reaches the end of it's recess. Push inward on the extractor half way between the rear and the ring. This lifts the foot out of the recess and allows the extractor to rotate further around the bolt body. Then push or tap the extractor off the front of the bolt.

It takes tough fingers and at least one thumb to get it back on. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen, this is easy enough I should be able to do it with spilling only a little blood.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack, that little tool that Brownell's sells for installing extractors is the best bargain I ever got for hard cash. I have not had a sore thumb or increased my cuss vocabulary since I got it about 10 years ago.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you can buy the collar pliers (i;ve got em) or you can use a #2 straight slot. rotate the extractor to the "middle" between the lubs, insert the screwdriver in the TOP section (closest to bolt face) turn 90degrees (where the extractor clears the groves, and tap from the rear. This is the least bloody way I know of, without buying the pliers, and with the pliers, you do exactly the same thing.
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe,

I got that Brownells extractor removal tool and I think it is not very well made. I used it only for a couple of jobs and it already got some deep tooth cuts on it. I would pay more to have a better tool with a harder steel. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Cheap and easy installation. Place the collar on the bolt body and position the tabs to the right of the retaining groove and centered between both lugs.

Open your bench vise. With a pair of pliers, gently grab and squeeze the tabs together as you approach the vise.

The top right hand corners of the vise were specifically designed to hold the extractor collar in position. Place the bolt in the vise with the corners of the jaws on the sides of the collar. Tighten the vise with enough pressure to support the bolt and hold the collar in place.

Remove the pliers and slip the extractor over the tabs and with your thumb, lift the forward portion of the extractor up an onto the bolt body and then rotate it back into it's slot.

You can do this in about 10 seconds and you already have the tools. You can place a piece of masking tape over the corners of the vise to protect finely finished collars.

Malm