THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper steel bottom metal for Rem 700 .243 ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there such a thing ?? and what is the cost ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC, when I researched this of late (with the help of our friendly AR members), the best and cheapest option I came up with was Williams M700 Bottom Metal.

You also need an ADL Mag Box and some Retainer Screw.

How you would get these Aussie Land, I don't know. I don't believe Midway does business with non-US residents. So either order from somewhere else (Williams direct?), or get somebody to order for you and ship to Down Under...

- mike

P.S. Note, the link to the mag-box above is for a .223 Rem, you'd need another mag box for your .243...

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
PC if you go over to 24HrCampfire you can ask Matt Williams directly, he's always on the Gunsmithing board.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just so you know ahead of time, Matt’s Remington 700 triggerguards require the use of the taller ADL mag boxes. I like the Winchester 70 shaped bow on Matt’s guards rather than the more egg shaped ones on other models, but that’s just a personal preference.

I would recommend filing or milling a draft on them for ease of inletting, since they don’t come with that feature, and they don’t alert you to that or the ADL mag box requirement when you buy the guards.

You can also buy them from Brownells and Iron Brigade Armory.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will this stuff drop into the hs stock until I have $$ to upgrade to a McMillan ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No aftermarket triggerguard that I know of will “drop†into a stock that has been inletted for a factory guard.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I'm told, and in looking at the pictures - it appears to be true..that the Williams guard for a 700 isn't REALLY one piece, its 2+ that are pinned together. Maybe that's ok...but you did ask for a ONE PIECE GUARD.

I've got a couple of Model 70 Williams guards, and they're great...but I've been debating the 700 guard purchase myself between the Williams and HS Precision detachable. The others Badger, etc., look WAAAAY too bulky for me.

Matt....?

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks,

I will also look at the Badger bottom metal as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Thanks folks,

I will also look at the Badger bottom metal as well.

Sunny Hill also makes a nice steel unit for Remington 700’s.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Contact Williams Firearms Company directly. He is just a few blocks from me here in Prineville, Oregon.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
I'm told, and in looking at the pictures - it appears to be true..that the Williams guard for a 700 isn't REALLY one piece, its 2+ that are pinned together. Maybe that's ok...but you did ask for a ONE PIECE GUARD.

I believe that is true - also for the Williams M70 bottom metal. That said, the Williams products "act" as 1-piece, in the sense that they only need 2 action screws (on a M70), say. So functionally, they are 1-piece. Secondly, the Williams bottom metals have been subject to some pretty fancy engineering, and it is very hard to actually detect they have been joined together from two (?) pieces.

For the price the Williams product is offered at, I don't think there is much to complain about. If you want "purity" over function, be prepared to pay quite a premium with no apparent practical advantage.

To each his own, I guess.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
Yep, Midway only sell to dealers, outside the US.
Ordering direct from Matt Williams may be possible. Contact him through the Williams Firearms Co website. Price list is there too.

The thing is, these bottom metal sets require a US State Dept export license. This is because their wholesale value is over USD100. Now, Matt may not want to go through this paperwork, but it's worth asking.

No problem at this end though - not being a complete magazine, it won't require an import permit.

I bought a couple of Win M70 LH extractors from Matt early this year; great product and good mob to deal with [these were under the $100 exemption limit]. There was a bit of to-and-fro to get credit card details complete, but it all went well in the end.
Global Priority Mail [as I requested] was quite fast, too, and cheaper up to 4 lbs weight than air parcel post.

Another possibility may be to special order through Brownells - they stock some Williams FC lines, just not these Rem one-piecers [at least I can't get them to come up in the online catalogue]. They have all the export stuff sorted, and don't charge a fortune to do it. The license will be slow though [think 6 weeks probable].

Fireball and Mike, the pin you can see in the pics is the retaining pin for the M70-style floorplate latch. My M70 [LH Safari Express .375] has Williams bottom metal from original, and it's the same - definitely one piece!

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gadge,

couldn't you pay for it in two installments...so it's under the $100 and then call it metal castings rather than admit to it being a gun part ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will this willimas bottom metal be able to be fitted to the HS stock the rifle will be in ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not see how it shoots and if you want to keep the stock it came with. A varminter can have a blind magazine and then you will only need a trigger guard.

I would not get fancy with a Remington unless it was accuracy or safety related.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I have Sunny Hill steel bottommetal on a Mark Penrod Model 700 custom barreled-action I own, and this is of the true, best-quality commercial Mauser style, and is made of milled-steel.

http://www.sunny-hill.com

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links folks,

AD I did not want a remington.........but it seems for a Kangaroo & Fox gun for spotlighting it will be fine, (I have not had any varmints charge me yet Wink.

I had my first dissapointment with a cz 550 22/250 (built on a 30/06 length action, mag box used to try and fit the round the big action as it takes up some room) it was very difficult to load and did not feed right. I sent it back and ordered a rem vls in .243 and up graded to a hs stock for an extra $100AUS.

I have never had a .243 before and I think it will be much better for roo's than the 22/250.......even with head shots on roo's with the 22/250 they have to be hit just right or it is just not humane.

.243 with a 70 gr Nosler BT should near knock there heads clean off and buck the wind a little better.........we shall see I suppose.

The thing that gets me with the rems is that bottom metal makes me feel sick in the stomache....I am not sure if it's plastic or aluminium but it's nasty.

I also plan to add a Jewell trigger to this as well.

Purchased a 250 pack of Nosler 70 gr BT's today ordered warne mounts & Bases and some Redding dies, so I have a new Romance beginning. I have a leupold 6.5-20x40 to mount on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly the only triggerguard assemblies that will “drop-into†an HS stock are their own model and the factory Remington assembly. All other aftermarket guards will need additional inletting because they are thicker and a bit longer.

The Williams model has no draft and they are a bitch to inlet unless you file or mill a draft on them first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I suppose tye important thing is can it be fitted to a HS stock without ruining it seeing as it's made out of some composite material.

Sunny hill looks great.........but it's twice the price of the williams product.

I wonder what the HS bottom metal is worth ??

PC.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
The HS bottom metal is $189.00 - $209.00 most places, comes with one detachable magazine - they run about $75 each for extras.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Gadge,

couldn't you pay for it in two installments...so it's under the $100 and then call it metal castings rather than admit to it being a gun part ??

Not likely, mate. No US commercial exporter is going to take that risk.
Big house time is quite possible, on being caught doing it, in these post 9-11 days.

Brownells do carry a few alternative makes of good bottom metal as stock lines though - go to their website and look up these catalogue numbers [prices are USD non-dealer]:
848-177-000 Sunny Hill/Pete Grisel Model 520, blued, $339
359-169-000 Dakota Arms Model 520, in the white, $239.40
093-306-020 Badger Ordnance Rem 700 Short Action, i.t.w., $335.30

And the H-S Precision conversion: 393-210-711 $210.00
But this one will need an Oz B709A import permit - it includes a magazine. And they'd need a certified copy of it, by post, before shipping. But as I've mentioned, the export license is a slow process in any case.

Any order of these items will incur USD15.00 in fees for the export paperwork, including export license, from Brownells. That's as cheap as it gets!

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Rick,

I suppose tye important thing is can it be fitted to a HS stock without ruining it seeing as it's made out of some composite material.

Sunny hill looks great.........but it's twice the price of the williams product.

I wonder what the HS bottom metal is worth ??

PC.

Maybe we are just engaging in semantics over your use of the term “drop in.†To me, “drop in“ is a literal term that means I do not have to alter the inletting of the stock at all in order to install the bottom metal. The Williams, Badger, Sunny Hill, and DD Ross units will NOT “drop into†an HS Stock. The inletting must be opened up and deepened in order for them to fit.

The factory Remington and the HS model should “drop in†without any need to screw with the inletting. As far as I know the HS units are made of Stainless Steel while the Remington’s are aluminum.

If you are worried about hurting your stock you needn’t do so. As long as you are careful and use sharp tools you are not going to hurt the stock, and you can always use bedding material to make it fit nice and tight if your inletting is a bit loose. You should bed the front and rear tang areas anyway so they provide a strong platform. I know the HS stocks using an aluminum bedding block for the action but I don’t know what they have on the bottom end for the guard assembly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help Rick, I will also look at the HS drop in floor plates as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Thanks for your help Rick, I will also look at the HS drop in floor plates as well.

PC,
Just so you’re straight about this, the HS units don’t have floor plates they come with a detachable magazine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick I notice that.....if it's HS stuff it should be of high quality !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Thanks Rick I notice that.....if it's HS stuff it should be of high quality !!

The HS unit is nothing more than a copy of the old KwiK Klip unit that Trexler Industries used to make. HS’s newer ones are made of stainless instead of aluminum, that’s about the only difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick I am unaware of the Kwik Clip copy ??

Would you say the HS product is of good qulaity, at least better quality than what is on a stock rem 700 ??

Or is the Williams a nice r unti ??

I see Badger make a unit as well but it is dear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Rick I am unaware of the Kwik Clip copy ??

Would you say the HS product is of good qulaity, at least better quality than what is on a stock rem 700 ??

Or is the Williams a nice r unti ??

I see Badger make a unit as well but it is dear.

PC,

I have no experience with HS products, stocks or bottom metal. I have three synthetic stocked 700’s and they all have McMillan stocks and DD Ross bottom metal. All my rifles are pillar bedded and personally I do not care for the bedding-block feature of HS stocks because I do not believe that it is as reliable or accurate as a pillar bedded action.

On my two wooden stocked 700’s I use the Williams bottom metal because I like the Winchester 70 shaped bow for a more traditional look.

I’m not a big fan of detachable magazines on bolt action rifles, it’s just one more thing to lose, break, and have to clean and maintain. I guess it makes loading and unloading a bit quicker, but I can’t really recall a time when I needed to do that.

All of this is nothing more than my opinions and you will have no trouble finding people that will disagree with my views! Smiler The bottom line is that your rifle should please you...NOT me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick,

Eventually I would like to add a McMillan to this as well, but trigger & Bottom Metal is first I feel.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:

I've got a couple of Model 70 Williams guards, and they're great...but I've been debating the 700 guard purchase myself between the Williams and HS Precision detachable. The others Badger, etc., look WAAAAY too bulky for me.

Matt....?

Just to clarify on the two-piece versus one-piece....Yes, our guards are actually two pieces that have been joined together by means of a mechanical joint, but that's true for Sunny Hill and Badger as well, which Sunny Hill also makes...The difference is that Sunny Hill's are tig welded.
To my knowledge, the only major player in the bottom metal market that is a true one-piece is Blackburn...I believe Jim Wisner has also made these, as well as Tom Burgess, but I don't believe they offer them any longer, or it's for just a very select few.....Probably only on the rifles they're building.

Our plans are to manufacture a true one-piece from a forging that will also be drafted and cure the drop-in problem for the Remingtons, but I've got that project on hold right now, until we can get our actions ready to go.......Way too many irons in the fire as it is.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

DD Ross units are one piece. I own several as well as two of your units. I personally don’t care for the Oberndorf type releases on the Hill, Bager, and Dakota guards.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten about DD Ross, but I've also yet to see one, so couldn't say one way, or the other.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
I had forgotten about DD Ross, but I've also yet to see one, so couldn't say one way, or the other.

Matt,

I have several and if there is a joint there its the best hidden one I’ve ever seen...or not seen, as the case may be! Smiler

Their units are machined from a solid piece of bar stock and heat treated to Rc-32-36, and you could probably hammer nails with them.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:

The HS unit is nothing more than a copy of the old KwiK Klip unit that Trexler Industries used to make.

Next...

I have no experience with HS products, stocks or bottom metal.

I do not care for the bedding-block feature of HS stocks because I do not believe that it is as reliable or accurate as a pillar bedded action.

I’m not a big fan of detachable magazines on bolt action rifles,

All of this is nothing more than my opinions and you will have no trouble finding people that will disagree with my views! Smiler

I guess you're right on the last bit... Smiler

I played around with a 22-250 HS Precision rifle this afternoon. It had the detachable magazine(5 round), and fed dummy rounds like there was no tomorrow. The magazine, and the floorplate were well finished, and functioned flawlessly. It locks into place solidly enough, I can't imagine what would loose it even in extreme usage.

What I saw that really appealed to me was the fact that it is a single stack magazine...

And they're available for magnum length cartridges as well.

If this is any indication of what their 700 kit is(and they tell me it is exactly the same), I'm in for at least one just to try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fireball,

That’s what it’s all about, brother! If it works for you and it fills your needs, who the hell cares what anyone else thinks, it’s your rifle! Smiler

I do know a guy though, that lost his detachable magazine while hunting, so it can happen. Anything that “pops†right in can “pop†right out also.