New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action screw thread sealant?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you use on your action screws for a sealant, If any at all?

The reason I ask is all of my Model 70's have some type of sealant on the action screws. I have had a couple of the rifles apart so many times that it has worn off.

Just curious

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Locktite 242. also know as blue locktite. It comes in a red container.

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Hey, Daryl. How's winter in your neck of the woods? I think that colored stuff on factory screws is there so that if the arm is returned for warranty the manufacturer can determine if the arm has been taken apart and maybe voided the warranty. I don't use any sealant myself; never had any come loose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey both Daryl's. Nothing to do with the gun question, but I was talking to my cousin in Thompson, Manitoba early last week, and it was -53 degrees F. Now I remember why I left!. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddball:
I use Locktite 242. also know as blue locktite. It comes in a red container.

Same here!!
good luck

Posts: 2354 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue Lock-tite,I got some.
I use it on my rings and bases.

Daryl, Dan
The weather has been perfect for snowmobiling and there is lots of snow. Only problem is that I have been to busy with projects to go out.
That is why I relocated to the Yukon, the winters were to harsh in Saskatchewan.

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl D

The thread sealant youre refering to is not related to any loctite products at all. Loctite products are assembled while still wet and they cure after assembly. Also if you take the screw out you will need loctite applied again.

The stuff Winchester is using is applied and cured before assembly. Very tough stuff and usually can be reassembled at least a couple of times. I think it is used to prevent action screws from loosening not as a seal to see if you have had it apart.

The only product I've found similar to what were talking about is called Vibratite. The only place I've found selling it is MSC, a machinist supply. It is about 16.00 for a very small bottle and they charge a hefty HAZ MAT fee. I use it on gun screws that need to be removed occasionally but I don't want them coming out otherwise.

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote