New
Find
Notify
Tools

strength of bolt-action shotguns?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know what sort of pressures these bolt action slug guns can safely take?
My father has it in his head to use one to shoot heavy, heavy cast bullets our of brass hulls, a sort of African Stopper on the cheap.
And yes, he is insane.
Thanks for any info.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
You need to give more information. Which bolt action are you asking about?

There are many bolt action shotguns (e.g. Mossberg, Stevens, CIL...but there are also converted M98 Mausers).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, it loks like maybe the Savage Arms is just their rifle action set up to shoot shot. Yes? If so, I don't see why that wouldn't handle more like 60k psi. Bolt thrust is another issue, but it is a straight wall.
I'm guestimating that at 15k CUP (~18.5k psi?) it could get 1500 fps from a 1150g slug, which would be right around 6k ME.

Hadn't even thought of BMG brass.
They already make 3" brass for 12 ga.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I don't know what kind of pressures it will take, but I am the proud owner of a Browning A-Bolt 12 Guage Slug Shotgun that looks pretty darn strong to me, and I am betting would take quite a bit of pressure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana--Rob and my 12GA From Hell brass is made from BMG
cases, that we put 12 ga size rim on.Much stronger than turned cases.Ed

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue--We need info about the A-Bolt shotgun.Does it have front locking lugs.How long a barrel and what is barrel diameter at breech and muzzle.How long is barrel/How long of a case does it take..Sounds like it has 12GA From Hell
possibilities..Who sells them now. I have never seen one.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote