New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today Sucks... broken stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As the title states, today sucks. I just bought a mint Pre-safety Marlin 336 Had it sent to my dealer. Dealer sent me a text saying the box just arrived and he is logging it in. 5 minutes later, I get a call from dealer. Says he dropped the gun and a “small piece” chipped out of the buttstock. I go to pick it up and this is what I find....

My definition of small chip is different than his. Can this be fixed and still look good? Looks like I need to find a gunsmith that can fix the stock when I have the barrel shortened. Lovely day...

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 666 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You didn't follow my lesson #1 for rifle shipping; REMOVE the stock!.
It is hard to break if it is alongside the barrel.
Just epoxy it back; anyway, Marlin stocks are common. Not like it is a custom or fancy one.
Don't worry about this one. Ain't worth raising BP.
I know, too late now.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You didn't follow my lesson #1 for rifle shipping; REMOVE the stock!.
It is hard to break if it is alongside the barrel.
Just epoxy it back; anyway, Marlin stocks are common. Not like it is a custom or fancy one.
Don't worry about this one. Ain't worth raising BP.
I know, too late now.

The dealer I bought it from shipped it in a soft case then placed it in a hard case. My dealer apparently let it slide out of the soft case when he unzipped it. So it was either a broken stock or bent tang.

And certainly not worked up about it. Just shaking my head waiting for Monday to be over with.

Sent from my iPhone

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I have seen references on other forums where they used the Stock Doctor to fix shipping damage.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
That stock ain't broke. Below is what a real broken stock looks like on a 336:

popcorn
Obviously, during the sewer backup in the basement the stock got wet and the paint all ran. No coming back from that shit ! ! ! !

Actually +Templar+, if you are going to have a break in a stock, that has to be the best one that you can have. It is ridiculously easy to glue and hide and there are no structural concerns to worry about.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bent tangs are much easier to fix.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that spearchucker is completely right. It will epoxy/glue back together. The dealer might dye the epoxy/glue brown. Any brown line of epoxy/glue that show along the crack will look like the grain of the wood because the crack is parallel to the grain.
Also, your dealer could find you a good replacement stock for cheap ( his cost) as spearchucker mentioned.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My take is the stock is broken with the grain and is repairable. That is not a small amount of damage. As far as being easy to replace, well, maybe or maybe not depending on how you define it. Is a pistol grip stock available.... yes. Is a pistol grip stock that matches the figure and profile readily available...... probably not from remlin. The stocks they have been using are on par with the marlin-glenfield line. In other words.. cheap.
Worst case, you can buy a nice stock from an aftermarket stock company that will fit and look right. You know now that it is wise to ship with the buttstock removed and the tang wrapped now.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’m juggling repair or replace right now. If I replace, then I’ll do the whole set with something nicer than factory.

Not sure if I made it clear though, the stock did not get damage in shipment. The stock was damaged when the local dealer mishandled it. Instead of laying the guncase on the counter to remove the gun, he unzipped the case while holding it. And of course the gun slid out like a turd and smacked the ground butt first on the concrete floor. Not that it really matters now. But yes, I usually try to take the stock off guns before shipment if feasible. Saves on shipping cost having a shorter box.

No, it’s not a fancy gun or fancy wood. But I was proud of finding one that was almost like new and all original. Oh well, I could always have some brass reinforcement pins put in it to give it some period correct character. Smiler

Sent from my iPhone

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fixed a similar stock crack on a Springfield 03 in 30-06 improved for my dentist. I used wood glue, and the brss stock repair pins from Brownells. That was eighteen years ago. A straight line of four brass pins would not be readily noticed, and would add character. Put another four pins in your local dealers noggin. That will put everything right again.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

If you repair it, use a good grade laminating epoxy like US Composites 635 or West Systems 105. Stay away from the household epoxies like Gorilla Glue and Devcon as they tend to be thicker and have flexibilizer in them that won't finish properly and leave heavy glue lines. Good laminating epoxy will leave an almost invisible joint as long as it's with the grain. There is no need for pinning on a break that long.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I see that it was not caused by shipping but by a very careless and bumbling "dealer". He definitely should pay for a new one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you squeeze it tight with a clamp for the epoxy to cure you need to wipe off the excess that oozes out, right away, of course. Also you should first remove the one screw that is in the crack. You may have to re drill a pilot hole before you put the screw back in.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by +Templar+:
Yes, I’m juggling repair or replace right now. If I replace, then I’ll do the whole set with something nicer than factory.

Not sure if I made it clear though, the stock did not get damage in shipment. The stock was damaged when the local dealer mishandled it. Instead of laying the guncase on the counter to remove the gun, he unzipped the case while holding it. And of course the gun slid out like a turd and smacked the ground butt first on the concrete floor. Not that it really matters now. But yes, I usually try to take the stock off guns before shipment if feasible. Saves on shipping cost having a shorter box.

No, it’s not a fancy gun or fancy wood. But I was proud of finding one that was almost like new and all original. Oh well, I could always have some brass reinforcement pins put in it to give it some period correct character. Smiler

Yep, I got that the guy basically dropped it but first on the floor. He must have previously worked for an airline as a baggage handler or fot ups in a shipping center. I hope you find a nice replacement. I particularly like this era stocks as they have the grip cap and whiteline spacers thatchave been deleted today.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Why are you worried about fixing it when the dealer will be replacing it?

Jus sayin!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Had a similar situation come up awhile back and it had a happy ending. In the process I came upon this guy in Albany Georgia. I can't endorse him as I've never had dealings with him but you might want to check into his work.

http://www.gunstockshop.com/

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a wonderful opportunity to purchase some very fancy American black walnut and have that original stock duplicated to go along with your other planned customization.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Why are you worried about fixing it when the dealer will be replacing it?

Jus sayin!

The dealer had Elmer’s wood glue, a screwdriver and rubber bands in hand when I showed up and was prepared to fix it himself. Something tells me I have a battle ahead of me when he sees the cost to fix it “right” We shall see. Maybe I’m being pessimistic.

Sent from my iPhone

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a stock pattern for the 336/95s and have made several fancy stocks for them, and I made it with a 14 inch LOP to accommodate post war guys who have long arms.
It is straight grip though, although pistol grip tangs are easily converted. Just mill it straight as they aren't really curved, they are forged with extra metal.