New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding a synthetic stock
 Login/Join

<Igor>
posted
I have a Sako 75 hunter, 7mm RM with s SS barrel and synthetic stock. The stock is made of plastic. Can i bed a stock like this? I have herd it is almost impossible to bed a synthetic stock, is this right?. How do i do it and what bedding material would i use? Would pillar bedding be better?

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You can bed them but it may not be worth it. I've never bedded a Sako but on Remington and Winchester it will work if you carefully drill bosses in the plastic for the bedding material to hold. Also, if you don't plan to free float the barrel, you're in for a lot more work as those forends flex like crazy. You either free float and leave a lot of space to prevent contact when in firing position, or you add something in there to prevent the flexing.

I've used both Marine Tex and Accuglas. Both work if you provide bosses for the material to grip but I think Marine Tex holds a tad better. I've never had one come loose out of maybe 20 I've done.

It's hardly worth pillar bedding such a cheap stock but it's done the same as a wood stock. I've drilled a much bigger hole at the action screws than the pillar then wallowed it out in the center of the hole to better grip the stock with a small bit on a Dremel tool.

[ 12-07-2002, 02:08: Message edited by: Bob338 ]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Igor>
posted
Why don�t you think it may not be worth bedding? No gain in accuracy or? Will plastic padding work? Do not know if you have that product in US though. What does adding bosses mean?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Igor I bedded a rifle for the first time about a couple of years ago with great success.Before bedding this one I owned two previous ones that I didn't bed.With these two I had numerous problems.The first was a steyr-mannlicher model m professional,that had a plastic trigger guard.Every 2 or 3 times I would shoot with it the trigger guard would crack around the screws.I replaced the t-guard about 15 times,each time costing around $60.This rifle did not have a recoil lug to keep it from shifting back and fourth with recoil and the trigger guard was taking all the punishment.Even with a recoil lug the action still moves if not bedded,and the screws always loosten.I bought a brownell's acraglass kit and bedded a rem.700.At first I thought I would screw something up,but that was not the case.The rifle shot record groups continously putting 6,7,even 8 rounds in the same hole at 200yds with an 8x scope and a padded block of wood as a rest.I really feel that I accomplished something with the be dding,plus I never had to re-tighten the guard screws.I never felt there was a reason to pillar bed.You just don't do something if there is no neccesity.As for your plastic stock,Iam sure there is some bedding mix that works on plastic.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote