Find
Notify
Tools

Sako or AR Extractor for M 700
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Who would be a good smith to talk to about adding a Sako or AR extractor to a 700 bolt?

THX

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jamie dodson at wolf precession in Johnstown, pa

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me!, I've done a bunch, what caliber

Jkob60@msn.com

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why?

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why? Because they are vastly more reliable than the flimsy factory C type, (in the minds of some people, Not the US Army, who finds the factory one works fine in combat).
Not to mention the cut you make in the bolt face de-activates the "3 rings of steel" safety factor that M700s have, and which does work as advertised.
You still have a push feed, which we all know is a recipe for disaster for some people. The ones who forget that all current automatic weapons are push feed. (Not the Browning M2 .50 cal).
I have installed quite a few, just because people wanted them, but I would not take work away from Mr Kobe.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Marketing drives everything.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's easier, faster and saves money to sell the rifle as is and buy a better design now.

That rifle also lacks a decent three position safety that holds the firing pin, CRF and it looks cheap as a never ending ugly.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys but I think I'm just going to buy a new aftermarket bolt with the bolt body and handle all made from one piece steel plus a larger bolt knob. BTW I've probably owned 25 Remington 700's and this extractor is the only mechanical issue I've ever had with one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ah. Remington circumcision

quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
It's easier, faster and saves money to sell the rifle as is and buy a better design now.

That rifle also lacks a decent three position safety that holds the firing pin, CRF and it looks cheap as a never ending ugly.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Why? Because they are vastly more reliable than the flimsy factory C type, (in the minds of some people, Not the US Army, who finds the factory one works fine in combat).
Not to mention the cut you make in the bolt face de-activates the "3 rings of steel" safety factor that M700s have, and which does work as advertised.
You still have a push feed, which we all know is a recipe for disaster for some people. The ones who forget that all current automatic weapons are push feed. (Not the Browning M2 .50 cal).
I have installed quite a few, just because people wanted them, but I would not take work away from Mr Kobe.

The reason for CRF is to reduce the chances of a feeding jam in manually bolt action rifles. The auto rifles don't operate that way!

Feed jam in a bolt action rifle:

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am well acquainted with how CRF and push feeds work, and the potential issues with them. CRF is for people who do not know how to operate a push feed correctly, ie. don't short stroke it and try to feed another round. Or under duress, cycle the bolt again before locking it down on the first round.
I do prefer CRFs though.
Actually, auto rifles do, indeed, work that way; that is why M16s have the forward assist; to make sure the bolt is closed on the round before you retract the bolt, in case of a problem. Soldiers are taught to tap the forward assist before touching the charging handle.
There are also those who believe the forward assist only serves to compound a problem.
My point was, that when designing the bolt action sniper rifles,, the Army did not think a CRF was an important design feature.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Yessir...... I know all of that!

I have shot thousands of rounds out of 700s nad broke exactly I extractor a $1.50 part that took 20 minutes to replace.

I have had a bunch of trouble with Mausers and extractors. The Remington extractor thingy is a myth!

The bolt handle comming off? Never once seen it, not once, ever.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remingtons aren't the only company with brazing issues. I sent back two brand new Benellis (an M2 and a SBEII) and a Browning BPS this year where the brazed-on barrel ring failed. In the case of the Benellis, the barrel departed the gun.

I also think the Remington extractor thing is way overblown. If it sucked as bad as some say it would have been gone long ago. How long have they used it - 64 years? I seem to remember it was introduced in 1948 with the 720.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a problem with the Remington extractor but, someday, the one in my 60+ year old Mod 721 may give up and there are no replacements. Then I'll have to get the Sako or AR mod whether I want it or not. Sure wish I could find a spare extractor to squirrel away.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
I haven't had a problem with the Remington extractor but, someday, the one in my 60+ year old Mod 721 may give up and there are no replacements. Then I'll have to get the Sako or AR mod whether I want it or not. Sure wish I could find a spare extractor to squirrel away.

Jerry Liles
I haven't tried one myself, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the rivited extractor Brownells makes/sells work in the 721?

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding was that the rivited extractor would not work in a 721. I'd love to be wrong though.

Jerry LIles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote