New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel on Winchester model 88
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This old rifle was about 90% on the outside but the lands at the tip of the barrel are worn from muzzle cleaning about 1/2 inch back into the barrel. I did not notice it when I bought it but I paid about what it was worth. Where can you get a .308 barrel for this gun? Or should I try and cut the barrel off an inch or two, loosing the front sight in the process? I have not shot it with a scope yet, it seemed reasonable with iron sights at 50 yards! Confused

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I saw at least on 88 barrel on ebay last night. Caliber was .308. Of course, it may be for sale for the same reason that you want a new barrel...worth looking into though.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I understand your post that the rifling is gone from the muzzle end of the bore, then why not just cut and crown the barrel? Wincehster made "carbine" length 88's. It would be MUCH cheaper then buying a new/used barrel and having a gunsmith fit it. Just my opinion.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
I saw at least on 88 barrel on ebay last night. Caliber was .308. Of course, it may be for sale for the same reason that you want a new barrel...worth looking into though.

I was under the impression that Ebay did not allow gun sales on its site.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Congomike,

What about the front sight. On mine the ramp is silver soldered on. Do the earlier versions have an integral ramp? If not, your method would be doable. I always worry about silver soldering on barrels. I worry about scaling the rifling.

Jim,

Part are available on ebay, but not firearms.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, you can sell gun parts, just not actions, complete rifle.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Or consider reboring it (.243 to .308 or .308 to .358).

I restored a 1954-vintage 88 in .308 a couple of years ago and took 2 Texas whitetails with it; I think it would be an awesome whitetail/hog/black bear gun in .358.

And yes, there was Model 88 barrel on E-bay within the last week.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if the 308 magazine will work for the 358 Winchester.

Maybe Jim Wisner can post here in that regard. He makes 88 magazines on the old Winchester tooling and I have noticed he doesn't offer one in 358.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have an '88 that has a spot in the barrel about 8" from the end where the rifling appears to be gone or distorted, someone told me that at one time someone shot out a stuck patch. gun shot 2" when I first got it, after a trigger job it will shoot winchester supremes factory stuff into .75 for 3 shots with an old redfield 4x scope on tip off mounts. I would shoot the gun and see how it does, many guns shoot with less than perfect bores

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried glass bedding the 88 action and did it help?

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not shot it with a scope yet, it seemed reasonable with iron sights at 50 yards!

Why not put a scope on it and shoot it before you take it apart? Who knows, perhaps you've got a shooter on your hands already?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I concur that you should try it out first. If it doesn't shoot, i'd bob that baby back to 20" where it should have been in the first place. You can always have a front sight installed or just leave it plain so it doesn't hang up on brush and such.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote