Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my rifle will fire if the bolt is closed hard
 Login/Join

posted
Its a savage 110 300win. When the bolt is eased shut it works fine but if it is closed hard it will fire.

I am planning on selling this rifle and need this problem fixed. any ideas or do i need a gunsmith

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I would check the trigger setting. I knew a guy that farted around with his trigger to lighten it up and ended up with the same problem. He fixed it but I don't know what to do. I don't fart with my trggers I leave it to someone that knows what to do. jumping

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look on the bright side though...you’ve taken one step out of the firing process and you don’t have to worry about jerking the trigger any more! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't have enough sear engagement. A sharp home gunsmith should be able to adjust it out. I'll bet it does it worse if you point the muzzle up.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a common problem and the reason for the accutrigger. The spring wire on the right side of the action looses its spring tention over time. there is a set screw to adjust the tension. You might try tightening it about a half turn to 1 turn. This usually will fix the problem. If not you should take it to a good gunsmith.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jstevens hit it. Not enough sear engagement. A very easy fix. Find the screw and increase the sear engagement. Problem solved.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I messed with that screw some and it stopped fireing when it was shut hard. But with the screw turned enough to keep it from fireing It will only let it get past the first notch in the trigger not the second.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this point you should probably let a gunsmith check it out so it doesn't come back to haunt you.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Second notch??? Is this an accutrigger?Never saw more than one notch in a regular Savage trigger. Sounds like gunsmith time to me.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Playing with the adjustment screws on any trigger should be reserved for people that FULLY understand what turning those screws does and does not do.

This is especially true when playing around with the sear engagement. Normally the amount of engagement is pre set at the factory to provide sufficient connection for the range of pull weights recommended for the particular trigger system, and most non-target triggers are not safe when adjusted below 2 pounds.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
http://www.savageshooters.net/

These people may help too.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311-- After playing with the adjustment screws I am returning them to their original place.

Lanny first notch on the tigger is more of a wedge shaped piece taken out. The second is barely there. Just a very small step