New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Mod 70 Trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have hunted with this rifle since childhood but only recently put it on paper and have just been amazed how accurate it is with factory .270 loads. The trigger is less than great and I have become somewhat spoiled by Jewel on others. How adjustable are these triggers? Are they difficult to do a 'job' on and is it worth it? I am not willing to Jewel it but I would like to make it a lot better than it is now. Any advice fro those that have been there??? Ray????

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ultraman:
I have hunted with this rifle since childhood but only recently put it on paper and have just been amazed how accurate it is with factory .270 loads. The trigger is less than great and I have become somewhat spoiled by Jewel on others. How adjustable are these triggers? Are they difficult to do a 'job' on and is it worth it? I am not willing to Jewel it but I would like to make it a lot better than it is now. Any advice fro those that have been there??? Ray????

Ultraman...the triggers can be made very nice...the weight of pull and overtravel are adjusted by the screws and if the sear surface is stoned with a hard stone along with the trigger just enough to clean up and surface burrs and insure positive contact and not to change the angle or amount of engagement any large amount...the spring can be replaced by a lighter aftermarket spring or the factory one can be shortened a small amount and still fuction well if done slowly and check the progress....I still shoot the factory triggers on all my old M70's and I don't use a superlight release even on my Jewells...2.5lbs or more for field use....I don't know your experience with trigger work but the 70's are about the simplest around and are open and visible to observe the workings and contact points...a little goes a long way in trigger work....good luck and good shooting with a nice crisp trigger....!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Big Daddy for that wealth of info. I had heard similar, but always like to hear from someone who has been there.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote