Find
Notify
Tools

Help With Stock Finish
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I decided to refinish my Thumbhole stock for my contender. Stripped it down, sanded it, then decided to put a shadowline on the cheek piece. Turned out pretty good. Wet the stock down, then used a heatgun, sanded down again 220 grit. Then put on the stain. Now my problem is the "end" grain at the grip is way to dark, almost black. I know why this happened, should have used 400 or 600 on the end grain, but I didn't. So how would you go about lighting it up? Anything would help.

Thanks Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Anacortes WA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You might try wood bleach. Another option is to resand the area and then apply a stain prep before you apply the stain. The prep will seal the grain to reduce tha mount of stain that is soaked up. A gel satin will also soak in less.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I admit this isn't any help to you now, but I believe the use of stain causes more problems than it solves. I have found that the finish itself brings out the color of the wood just fine in almost every case. The only time I have added stain to a gunstock was to try to darken some sapwood to make it less noticeable.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote