New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney trigger/1891 ARG Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a Timney trigger for the 1891 argentine ?

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to be but not any more, most I've seen have been by Dayton-Traister, occasionally see one on the net auctions, good luck, I'm looking too, regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hutt, IMO that's a good system if you like the double-stage military-style pull. I happen to like it and so I use it on many of my own hunting rifles by simply stoning and polishing the original trigger surfaces, but the new trigger shown in your attachment is a lot easier to adjust.

For a varmint rifle I prefer a single-stage pull and so I haunted the ebay auctions until I found a Dayton-Traister one. Nowadays ebay doesn't permit triggers to be sold on their site so Gunbroker or similar is the only option I know about unless you like DSTs.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Hutt
Don't take this the wrong way but that trigger sucks. It's just slightly better then stock and it's not adjustable for weight. Which is the whole reason to get a Timney in the first place.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Talk about memories! I used to have several of the M-91 Argentine Mausers which I made into sporters back in the days when you could buy brand new ones in the 'States as surplus for $10-$20 each.

As far as spending money on a replacement trigger, my own suggestion would be to take the rifle to a competent real gunsmith...not a jack-leg tinkerer you meet at the range, and have him tune it to the pull and smoothness you want.

It is possible to eliminate the double-pull and make the trigger lighter without much effort by a person who knows what he is doing. He can also give you adjustable trigger/sear engagement, but I would not recommend having that done, if you are not very well experienced at setting & managing such engagement. It is something I believe most amateurs should not putz with. (I don't mean that as any sort of put down, just as a caution for your own financial and physical safety.)

The cost for a good professional adjustment of your trigger should be about the same, or probably less than, the cost of a replacement trigger.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Hutt
Don't take this the wrong way but that trigger sucks. It's just slightly better then stock and it's not adjustable for weight. Which is the whole reason to get a Timney in the first place.
kcstott, did you have the teflon or stainless model?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I didn't have one but a friend of mine did for his rifle and I was tasked with installing and setting it up. It was the stainless model
All I can say is for the money it left a lot to be desired. It was essentially the same modification i preformed on my trigger. Removed first stage, Polished second stage, They install a ball bearing and set screw arrangement, added set screw to take up creep, the polished the sear engagement. It made the trigger better but side by side to a Timney it was no where near the quality of a Timney. and for $90 I think I'd tune a stock trigger before I spent money on something I can do myself.
I'm still looking at modifying a Timney 98 to fit Receiver needs to be cut and the over all height need to be shorter but I think it can be done. And if it can then I have a replacement for my 98

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote