New
Find
Notify
Tools

red dot sight on a mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a way to mount a red dot sight on a military Mauser 8X57 short carbine for driven boar hunts. I don't want to drill and tap the receiver because I want to keep the rifle in its original state.
I remember having read about mounts that can be exchanged with the original iron sights that are fitted on the barrel.

Does anyone have experience with these mounts and/or know who makes these?

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A company called B-Square makes them. You should be able to buy them through Brownell's.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
http://www.scopemounts.com/98mauser.html
These guys also offer a no-gunsmithing mount but I haven't used one.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remove the rear sight. Fit a Weaver generic sight base rail between the original rear sight supports. Drill the Weaver base for a cross pin. Drill and tap the ends of the Weaver rail to install set screws. Use the set screws to make the base tight, like a teeder-todder with saw horses under each end. Install your sight on the rail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a set of the B-Square on my Yugo 48 and mounted a simmons pistol scope. I know it ain't a Holland and Holland but it will hold a 2 inch group at 100 yrds....................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote