Find
Notify
Tools

Glass-bedding!! Everyone!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys!

Let's see some of the glass-bedding jobs some folks here have done, whether at home themselves or by a smith, before-after pics would be nice too! Cross-bolting pics too are welcome!!

Zubin

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some recent glass/pillar bedding photos. Come to think of it, I have some cross bolt installation photos.

Can anyone post them for me if I email them to you?

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to post them for you. E-mail address is in my profile. Double click my name in the author's place on this post.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craftsman,

I'd be glad as well.

daleatkins@suddenlink.net

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mstarling

Photos sent.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are Craftman's pics:

Drilling for crossbolts

Machining radius on pillars

Checking fit

Drilling for pillar/escutcheon

Checking pillar fit

Glass bedded with pillars

Pillars/escutcheon

Crossbolts installed

Glass cloth to reinforce tang area

Bushings used to center action screws in pillars

Machining crossbolt spanner tools

Clearance milled for trigger body

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More bedding pics from Craftsman:

Glass bedded Winchester Model 70 in an HS Precision stock.

Same stock

Pillar bedded Remington 700

Mike

--------------

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very nice work.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

91/30 military stock made in Russia during WWII.

I put in some Devcon Steel Putty, two brass pillars, and cut away the stock for the welded bolt handle.

The pillars were set in the epoxy while pre stressed in compression. I believe this method is superior for getting the pillars square with a flat bottomed* receiver. When the action is in the stock the screws should meet resistance and then be full tight in less than 1/8 th turn. There is some compliance in the thread crush, but that is not between the pillar and receiver. The less than 1/8 turn indicates there is a low compliance fastening between action and stock, which is the reason for glass bedding and pillars.

* I consider round bottomed receivers to be a triumph of manufacturing costs over engineering.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, the first project was a left hand Savage. The purpose was to build a reasonable priced left hand big bore rifle. The customer purchased a new 7 Rem Mag Savage and had me rebarrel to .416 Taylor, install NECG banded front sight and sling stud and express rear sight. We were going to just glass bed but the blind magazine stock had a plastic escutcheon for the front action screw.
So I machined a combonation front escutcheon/pillar and rear pillar out of steel. Then installed two crossbolts and reinforced the rear inletting with fiberglass cloth. The factory trigger was tuned to a crisp 3 pounds. We used Leupold QRW rings. It is well balanced and definately ready to hunt.

Craftsman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craftsman--

Very nice work!

Be careful what you post or you will have lots of folks hoping you have time to bed rifles for them.....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliment Dan.

I am not accepting any work at this time.

Just wanted to share some photos with the fraternity.

Craftsman