New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sorry, not about a rifle's magazine, but about magazines about rifles.

I have been a reader of Shooting Sportsman for quite some time now, but my focus has steadily changed away from fine shotguns to fine rifles.

Is there a magazine of similar quality but dedicated exclusively, or at least primarily, to fine rifles?

<allen day>
posted
There have been attempts in the past to come up with a magazine exclusively devoted to fine rifles, especially fine custom rifles, but there are none in print currently that I'm aware of.

The best you can do is subscribe to "Sporting Classics", which often has high-end rifle articles and is aimed at the high-end market, as well as "Rifle", "Handloader", "Safari" (from SCI), "Rifleshooter", "Hatari Times", "African Sporting Gazette", "African Hunter", and the new and excellent "Sports Afield", now published by Ludo Wurfbain, owner of 'Safari Press'. All of these will have periodic articles about fine factory, semi-custom, and full-custom hunting rifles on a semi-regular basis. Once in a while Jim Carmichel still runs an article on fine custom rifles in "Outdoor Life", but those are few and far between these days.

It's rather frustrating, because the guys who love truly fine rifles are in the minority, and most magazines are publishing articles that will appeal to the masses.......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try "Accurate Rifle".

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

Allen, I have read the new Sports Afield, and liked it so much that I will become a subscriber. It is a little thin now, but the only way that will be fixed is with additional circulation so I'll do my part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
most magazines are publishing articles that will appeal to the masses.......

AD

Yes, how many times are they going to cover which is the best caliber for whitetails, or why the 3-9X40 is so popular....... sleep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double Gun Journal is interesting, the guns are all high end. Seems to be more shotguns than double rifles. Beautiful photography, lots of historical data, and well written.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HP Shooter

You might want to pick up a copy of The Custom Rifle Gazette. I think this is one of the attempts that Allen had referred to. This was one of the best attempts at a magazine devoted to custom rifles. It ended with only one issue being printed because the primary investor became fatally ill in Sep. of 1995.

The first issue covered the likes of, David Miller, Curt Crum, Darwin Hensley, Steven Dodd Hughes, Tom Turpin, Terry Wieland, Alexander Gray, just to name a few. The next issue was to cover, D archy Echols, Maurice Ottmar, ect.

I do not know why someone like the Custom Gunmakers Guild or Engravers Guild did not step in and take over. The magazine was already up and running. All of the legwork was done. They could do one issue a year just on the building of the raffle rifle.

Two members of this forum with publishing experience had articles in the first issue. I would be interested in what they have to say about the demise of this publication and if there was anything that could be done to bring it back to life. But this thread will probable not be read by either one of them.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote