New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage stock problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am new to Savages and was under the impression all the actions were the same. I just attempted to put a synthetic stock from a FV model on an action that was orginally a .243 110E - the hole spacing is different. What factory synthetic stock will fit my 110E? I am frustrated - and out the price of a stock. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Yup, you're new to Savages, all right.

It's not the "FV" or "E" parts you need to concern yourself with... it's the series number. You listed "110E" and "FV." You are comparing apples to oranges.

You likely bought a "10" series "FV" stock and you're trying to put it on a "110" series "E" gun. It won't work. All triple-digit Savage bolt-action rifles (e.g., 110, 111, 112, 116) are LONG-action rifles. All double-digit Savage bolt-action rifles (e.g., 10, 11, 12, 16) are SHORT-action rifles.

Shop for a "long-action" ("LA") Savage stock.

Russ

[ 07-16-2002, 06:42: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Lefty223>
posted
Well, nowadays Savage makes a long action (depicted by a 3-digit model number like "110") and a true short action for calibers up to 308 class/size (model number of 2 digits, like "12").

In the waaaaay past they actually had a long and a somewhat 3/4-long action (wasn't a true short action size), but I digress. I'd bet you unknowingly purchased a short action stock for your long action (designated by the 110 model number) even though the 243 is a normally "short action" cartridge.

I bet when you load the 243 into the action there's a 3/4" or so space at the front towards the chamber right? There may even be a sheet metal spacer in the magazine? That's how they modified the long action to chamber the shorter caliber.

I can't believe the seller (unless it was an auction) of the stock wouldn't at least exchange it. If you need to sell it, try www.auctionarms.com or www.snipershide.com, which has a ton of Savage fans on it.

Good luck and tight groups [Big Grin] !

[ 07-16-2002, 06:40: Message edited by: Lefty ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information - I should have taken time to do my research before starting this project. I will probably end up trading it for a short action model - is there anything I should watch out for? Is one better than others or is it pretty much "parts is parts" as long as it is a 10 or 12......It will, if nothing else, give me another story to tell. Thank you, again..

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
One more thing, even within the long action series, there is some variation in location of the rear (trigger guard) screw. Many after market stocks leave that hole to be drilled by the end user. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote