Find
Notify
Tools

Extracting Hornet Cases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
I apologize in advance if this question sounds very naive, but its because I have not seen an action designed for 22 Hornet up close.

My question is this: can an action designed for rimless cases (such as a Rem 700 SA) be modified to extract 22 Hornet or 17 Ackley Hornet cases? I'm not worried about feeding too much as this will be a single shot application.

I have a Remington and Savage action, and I want to build a 17 AH.

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could get either action to extract a hornet case. The Remington action would be the hardest of all actions to modify to do the job. I would go with one of the small Mauser type action already setup for the case. Take a look at the CZ 527.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you could find a Savage bolt head in 22 Hornet that would be easy to swap out. OTOH, you can sell the Rem action and finance most of the cost of the CZ 527 DFC is suggesting. That would be the cheapest way to your goal of the three options and you'd have a repeater to boot.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm not a big fan of the CZ magazine poking out the bottom of the stock, but I guess I can make it a single shot there. There is a gunsmith that modifies the CZ magazine to hold only 3 rounds, but doesn't protrude from the bottom of the stock, so that is another option. My original reason for not going with CZ is because I could not cut metric threads on my lathe, but I think I got it worked out now with the gears that I have.

Regards,
Kory

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kory, have you considered on of the single shots like the Browning or Ruger?

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Kory, have you considered on of the single shots like the Browning or Ruger?

Dan, I'm looking into them. I'm not a big fan of Rugers rifles, except their 10/22 for plinking (and I own a couple of their pistols). I don't know too much about Browning. Are you talking about the Lo-Wall? Any specific model that you like?

Regards,
Kory