New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which rifle barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bob, Your rifle needs some work, but probably not a new barrel. All bedding jobs are not the same. If steps were not taken to stiffen the forarm to prevent seasonal shifts, it could be exerting pressure somewhere.

Try this before rebarreling. Remove the stock and route or carve a longitudinal groove down the bottom of the barrel channel. Something about 1/2" deep and the same in width. Fill this with glass compound. This should stiffen the forarm to the point that it can no longer warp to contact the barrel. I have done this on every rifle I have bedded with no seasonal warpage. It works! Best of luck with your project!!!

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington Classic in 7x57 that is really tough to keep zeroed season to season. I've had it pillar bedded and recrowned. I'm thinking I may need to have a new barrel? It's lost some of it's collector value since I had to have the barrel cut 1/2 inch when it was recrowned due to some rusting, so that's not an issue. I've had Shilen do work for me but was wondering if some of you would suggest something else? I want to keep it in 7x57.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I hate to be a contrarian, but any of the "premium" grade barrels are good to go for a hunting rifle- far more important is the quality of the gunsmith's work in cutting the chamber.

Having said that, I'd recommend your basic Douglas XXX.

I'll second that...

Take your pick of "name-brand" barrels, then have it installed RIGHT and you'll be fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
You're right. My mistake.

eldeguello,
You're right. I missed that.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote