New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket Trigger
 Login/Join

<GlennB>
posted
I want to replace the factory trigger on my Ruger M-77 (tang safety). What is recommended by the experts out there?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your options are Timney, Moyers (I think), and finding someone to rework the factory trigger. I don't know of any other trigger makers for the original Ruger 77. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
Thx Dan,

I plan on ordering a Timney today.

<GlennB>
posted
I received the trigger and attempted to install it on my .257. No way, no how, could I get the bolt into the action. It appears that the bolt stop is not dropping far enough now to allow it to enter the action.

Any thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Based on what you wrote I recommend calling Timney. They will install the trigger for you for a few bucks. It's well worth the investment if you're not familiar with trigger installation and don't have anyone to show you how. I've installed two timneys and both were considerable work for a supposed easy installation. I have the tools and some experience with triggers. They have to be right...no exceptions.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted Blackburn makes a much better trigger than Timney and the trigger sits back in the trigger guard where it is supposed to be..but it costs a bit more...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
double tap -- 1st post deleted

[ 05-07-2003, 11:46: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ted Blackburn makes a much better trigger than Timney and the trigger sits back in the trigger guard where it is supposed to be..but it costs a bit more...

I rarely disagree with anything Ray says, but...

Are you sure that Blackburn makes a trigger for the Ruger M77 Tang safety rifle?

When I last checked, triggers for Mausers were being produced, but nothing for the old tang safety M-77's.

If so, I want to order one!

If not, well it is easy to miss a couple of words in a post. Done it myself! [Smile]

I hope Ray can clarify because I was about to order a trigger for my M-77 and I would much rather have a Blackburn!

jpb

[ 05-07-2003, 11:45: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And how much is "a bit more"? Just curious. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I've never seen an old Ruger trigger that *needed* replacement. They're adjustable and of very good material. You can make them more consistant by re-reaming (cardide needed) the pivot holes in the housing and trigger, but that's about the limit of the improvement.

BTW-- The bolt stop is on the left side and has nothing to do with the trigger.......no slam, but it seems you need a *gunsmith* not a trigger. [Smile]

<GlennB>
posted
JBelk

On the right side of the receiver is a flat piece of metal that protudes thru the action that rises when the safety is engaged. This is what I was referring to as a "bolt stop". The pice you are referring to I would call a bolt release.

I do agree that I need a gunsmith. I am going to take the rifle to Timney and have their expert install the trigger. I had a friend of mine attempt the install with similar results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JPB,
You may be correct, I hadn't given that a consideration, just took it for granite..thanks for the heads up...in wich case I would get a Timney and re-grind that ugly a$$ cast trigger to look like a mausers.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
GlenB--

Firearms nomenclature can be confusing.

The leaf you refer to is a bolt *lock*. The Bolt *stop* is on the left side.

Most of the time the parts are named after the verb, or action, of the part. I've never figured out why some revolvers have a "hand" and others a "pawl" though. [Smile] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
But the bolt *stop* also *releases* the bolt for removal... So is it the bolt stop or bolt release? [Big Grin]

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
nextjoe ask---

quote:
So, is it the bolt stop or bolt release?
It depends on the position. [Big Grin]

The weird one is the Galesi pocket pistols. The striker is also the firing pin.....which turns into an ejector when the slide comes back. [Big Grin]

I still want to know why a blackberry is red when it's green. [Smile]

[ 05-11-2003, 03:56: Message edited by: JBelk ]