THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    FN Mauser, need bottom metal with box for 404 Jeffery

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Mauser, need bottom metal with box for 404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a ready made follower, spring, box and floorplate that will facilitate a 30-06 sized "FN Mauser" action into becoming a .404 Jeffery?

Jim Wisner can you help me?

Is it still possible to get Blackburn bottom metal?

Sumbuddy who know???

[ 12-05-2003, 21:34: Message edited by: RIP ]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackburn makes one, as does Jim. I don't know if either has them in stock but have a gunsmith friend who, I believe, has 2 of them on hand.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaggaRon, I don't know what bottom metal you need but I have 2 Blackburn model 98 458 lott length extra deep boxes and will probably only use one. I think they are model 14x, but can double check that if you want. I think I also bough Blackburn's follower for them. I do not know if the 404 jeffery uses the same box as the lott. I made a lott with one of these boxes and it holds 4 rounds down.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, Chic and Dan,
If either of you could help me acquire that bottom metal, I would sure appreciate it!

Chic,
Please check with your acquaintance and see if he has that bottom metal.

500grains,
Surely yours is the right size to work on a 404 Jeffery if it will hold 4 of the .458 Lott in the box. Let me know if you want to sell one at fair market value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaggaRon,

I paid $325 for the box and $60 for the followers. I will double check tonight to be sure I have a follower from Blackburn, but I may not be back on the internet until Monday.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Memory is a tricky thing.

I paid $290 each for my Blackburn bottom metal and $30 each for Blackburn followers, plus $5 for shipping. The bottom metal is 14x - Mauser extra deep, which Ted recommends for 416 rem mag and 458 lott. I had a 470 capstick built using one of these boxes and the front sides of the box had to be milled out a little to fit flat nosed solids (due to the wide bullet diameter and lack of bullet taper).

Although I have two 14x boxes, I have only one long Blackburn follower, and I would prefer to keep the Blackburn follower. I have a PME .375 H&H length follower, but the way it holds the magazine spring differs a little from Blackburn. Otherwise it seems the same. The Blackburn follower seems to be set up for a longer spring flat.

You might want to call Ted to ask which magazine box and follower he recommends (801 794 3309).

[ 12-06-2003, 18:53: Message edited by: 500grains ]

<Pfeifer>
posted
Ron,
Jim Wisner is "making chips again" as he said yesterday on the phone. I'm in line for .404J btm metal with him, but it is looking like sometime next year for this. I know that he used to have all the M98 .404J goodies, followers, etc but pretty sure he has been out of .404J btm metal for sometime now. He makes these with a Rigby style bellied floorplate from what I understand. He's got four sets of "guards" that he is getting lined up to shortly - .375H&H Enfield, 7x57 M98?, .30-'06 Springfield and the .404 Jeffery M98 IIRC. I believe that he may still have some boxes left for some interesting cartridges...you're best giving him a call Fri mornings for that info.

Hope this helps,
Jeff Pfeifer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron:

Where did you become interested in Ray's step child? I thought that you did not think much of the 404 before. [Big Grin] Regardless, it should be an interesting project. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jeff.
I really like Jim Wisner's stuff, safeties and sights that I have used so far. I should just get in line and wait my turn for the Wisner Werkes, unless Chic can pry the proper parts loose. They seem to be closely held. I shall call Jim, Friday morning.

Ming,
I must be getting senile. Time to regress. [Wink]
I have this neat little FN Mauser 30-06 with the most beautiful self-locking-true-Mauser extractor ... [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dagga, did you find out if the box for a 404 is a different box than for the 458 lott, or not? That would be useful information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not have any on hand right know for the 404.
Am working on finishing the programs on four types of magazines, the 404 in a Mauser is one of them.

Will offer two depths, a standard and a 5 shot drop box.

Will also offer a Rigby type floorpate on the standard box for the look and the extra round.

Expect to have them mid spring.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
That settles it for me! If I only have to wait until mid spring, that is nice.

I take it that the standard box holds three 404 Jeffery?

The standard box with the Rigby type floorplate (pocket plate?) holds four?

And the drop box holds five.

I would like a standard box with a Rigby floorplate if that is the case. Will call to put in an order.

500 grains,
Maybe we can figure this out. I am a duffer, but maybe Jim Wisner can shed some light on it. I have the box measurements from two properly functioning 404 Jeffery rifles:

1. urdubob
(original Jeffery M-98)
inside width, front: 0.885"
inside width, rear: 0.946"
length (assumed): ~3.600"
follower length: 3.45"
follower width, front: 0.710"
follower width, rear: 0.835"

2. Dypveit
(German pattern used on a Brno 602)
inside width, front = 0.929"
inside width, rear = 1.024"
length of box = 3.622"

How about your .458 Lott Blackburn box? To compare, as I am sure the length and depth are fine, can you give me the front and rear width inside the box?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dagga, I shall measure and report back.