THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Info, Colt M57, Bolt Action, is it an FN?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One for sale at a local shop, doesn't have much wear, does have a Pachmyer White line though. Are these FN actions? I found an old Colt ad that says FN w/ Sako triggers, the action is just marked "MADE IN BELGIUM".

Apparently only 5000 made, this one may be a deluxe, stock is a Monte Carlo with ebony tip, not well done at all, but it is D&T'd for scope and receiver sight. The barrel is a micro groove (12 groove) type in 30.06, no rear narrel sight but a ramp front.

Nothing special except the action.. what's a good price? I imagine the same as a Higgins FN?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
half-hearted try:

quote:
The Colt "57" Bolt Action Rifle was manufactured for Colt in 1957 by Jefferson Manufacturing Co. also of Hartford, CT. They made about 5,000 chambered in either .243 or 30-06. It came with adjustable sights. And it's basically a Fabrique Nationale Mauser action, barreled by Jefferson and matched with an American Walnut Monte Carlo Stock. The book says there was a deluxe version with higher grade wood. Current value for Very Good Condition is listed at $450... about 20% more if it's the deluxe.

Not much collector interest, since Colt didn't actually make it. They had it private labeled for them to sell. So I wouldn't expect it to be a good investment.

http://www.shootingusa.com/GUN_QUESTIONS/gun_questions.html#17

from the ad: "twelve groove ratchet rifled barrel".

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if these are C or H ring actions?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
H-ring FN Deluxe (C-rings discontinued after 1947). $400-$500 area. Some collectors value the Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing stamp on the barrel but it is basically a parts gun, very similar to Higgins M50.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Colt stamp is pretty ugly, big block letters, ugh!

Know anything about the 12 groove rifling? Any advantage or 1950's hype?

I'm going to see what I can get it for, keep the action and part out the rest.

Thanks, Rob

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Marlin also used FN Deluxe actions to make a few bolt rifles in 1957 (the model 455). They used their own stainless microgroove barrels. Could be Marlin barrels on the "Colt".

I had 2 Colt FN Mausers. I did not part them out because they are fairly scarce and do command a slight collector premium over other house-brand FNs.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006-I know it is picking at details but I have a FI marked FN action dated 1948 that is a C-ring. It has the wing safety, no stripper clip guides and is on a Johnson Automatics rifle in .300 Savage. It is a really a nice rifle but needs the old deteriorating gummy recoil pad replaced.

I was thinking the H-ring versions started around 1950 or so. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote