New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy help with a Rem VS 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well first off I'm not complaining too much, I did find a load with the 50 MHP Speers (pretty hot load) That yields .8" groups, 5 shot 100 yards. But everyother load I've tried is about 1-1.5"s at 100. Its stringing the shots vertically and to the left consistantly. I've tried the 50g v-maxes, 50g Barnes varmints, and the 50g Speers, all with the same result. Powders were H380 and Varget. I'm getting a good even powder residue blast on the crown, its free floated of course in an Kevlar stock with the aluminum bedding blocks. Its has a Shilen trigger in it set at about 1.75lbs. Its had no smith work done to it at all. It is a new Rem 700 with the Jlock. Any suggestions? Lapping the lugs, ect.... Any help would be appreciated

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
perhaps skim bed the action and bed the recoil lug. Make sure that the barrel is indeed free floating. Are you getting consistant groups with your various loads? Is the small one always small and the larger ones always large? I'm thinking something is loose: scope mount system; action screws? Last but not least is bench technique.............

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you getting consistant groups with your various loads? Is the small one always small and the larger ones always large?

Yes, they are consistant, always stringing vertical and left.

I'm thinking something is loose: scope mount system; action screws? Last but not least is bench technique.............

Nothing is loose, I've checked and rechecked, I don't know if you would call me a benchrest shooter, but I can shoot consistantly less than .4 moa on both my Rem 700 LTR in 223 and my CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Rem, with my handloads. Bedding the recoil lug might help, I will talk to a good smith tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
bearcat,

Mine did much the same thing, depending on whether it was warming or cool. After I cryo'ed it, it quit stringing and walking all over. Now it shoots mostly round groups, even when very hot. Besides, the factory throat starts about nine inches down the barrel it seems - not much you can do about that!

I fire-lapped it a bit too, but mine's an unimpressive 3/4" gun no matter what hunting bullet I feed it. Flatbase 53 Sierras and Bergers ($$!) shoot a bit better though.

It'll get rebarrelled (or sold!) when I get around to it.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bearcat, try some 55g bullets in that 250, I found many times a new barrel, with a tight or ruff bore and hot loads, that a heavier bullet will be more accurate. One load I always found that preformed well was 55g nosler with 34.5 to 35.5 grains of IMR 4895; the upper load would produce a velocity of about 3,636-Fps. You can use most any 55g Bullets with 34.5 to 35.5 grains of IMR 4895. Also don't seat the Bullets out to the Lands, seems most 250 I have had, liked them seated off the lands. As for the powder you already have, try them with a 55g bullet, you may be surprised at the results. Fact is the 55Gg will acutely have a flatter trajectory down range than the 50g bullets.

Redneck Outdoors

Posts: 10 | Location: LAL - CSA - Soar Like an Eagle | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, I wish I'd have known about the CZ's before I bought my Remington, the way my 17 shoots I probably would have gone that way. Have you seen their 22-250 in the Laminate stock?? Would love to have one. But now that I have my Remington and it does shoot around .8" groups if I could get it down to a consistant .5" I'd be happy, so I guess I'll be stupid and keep dumping $$ in it.

Freebird:

I'll try some heavier bullets in it, the 50g's that I shoot now are incrediably flat, the 55's would be flatter??

one of us
posted Hide Post
My LH VS 22-250 shoots 1/4" groups time after time after time. Anyone interested, I'm considering selling it. Why? I don't know.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a couple of remingtons lately that have rifling chatter all the way down the bore. Look down and if you see it send it back, if not call the factory anyway and see what they say. We send new guns back all the time for not shooting. I just built 22-250 with a pull off 223 rem barrel. going to shoot it tomarrow I'll let you know.
good luck

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the factory guns to very sensitive to stock torque.....too much and they open groups up and throw shots.....torque them even at 55INCH lbs and back to nice round groups IF everything else is correct.....some will do slightly better a little tighter but more in the heavier recoiling calibers than the 22centerfires......this cured my sudden grouping problems after a disassembly and a scope change..doing both at the same time gave me problems finding out why it suddenly started throwing shots and wide groups....changed rings,mounts,scopes and THEN found out about the stock bolt torque...problem solved..and I now own a INCH lb torque wrench.....HTH..good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote