New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northwest Gunsmith?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The collective experience of this board is requested to help narrow down the list of gunsmiths. I live about an hour outside of Seattle and prefer to have a gunsmith close enough to work with them on a face to face basis. That probably puts Jack Belk in S. Idaho on the outer limits of the distance I'd like to travel. There are several good gunsmiths I know of but need help getting someone who builds hunting rifles and does timely work. Sloppy work isn't what I'm looking for but a moody artist who works slow isn't either. Timliness is a big concern. I have one rebarrel job (Mark X Mauser) to be done in the next few months and then plan have about one rifle built each year. There's nothing I need to have done by tomorrow but if I am told six months, I rather not wait a year and a half. Thanks in advance, Ed

Posts: 161 | Location: Seattle - temporarily! | Registered: 04 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Jim Dubell of Colville, Wash. Work I have seen is very good. I'm sure there are many but I don't know them. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed,Jim's work number is under the Delta Gunshop in the Colville phone book. He does excellent work. And you will get to drive over on the "nice" side of the state.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Oleman>
posted
Mike Palazzo 253-631-3659 Kent, WA. A good article on him in Procession Shooting a couple months ago about his Wildcat the 300 Gonzo a bench rifle. He builds a good rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox, You're right about the "nice" side of the state. Can't wait to flee the crowds here. Of course, as many people as I know that are moving east, you're in risk of losing part of what makes the dry side of that state so great. Me, I'm heading south to Oregon as soon as that's feasible. Ed

Posts: 161 | Location: Seattle - temporarily! | Registered: 04 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Zak>
posted
Ed,
I can't speak from personal experience but from what I've seen posted by others here John Ricks in Port Angeles does very good work & he's probably under 2 hours away.

He also has a web site
web page
Zak

[ 08-23-2002, 04:45: Message edited by: Zak ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, if you would rather stay closer to home, you might call Mark Stratton, he is in Lynwood, just up I-5. His email is octbarrel@aol.com and his web site is

http://www.gunmaker.net/

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Puddle>
posted
I can recommend Rick Freudenberg's gunshop in Everett. You can reach him at 425-347-3986.

<eldeguello>
posted
BigEd, your post reminds me of the sign purported to have been displayed in Harry Pope's shop: "I am old. I am tired. If you want to know when your barrel will be done, take your business elsewhere." No-one did, of course, because Harry made the best barrels in the world! [Wink]

<Lightnin>
posted
BigEd,
Nesika Bay
6112 NE Minder Rd
Poulsbo, WA 98370
These guys will build you a hunting rifle smithed to bechrest standards and are second to none. They are also right in your back yard.
www.nesikabay.com

<Lightnin>
posted
BigEd,
The link I posted is the wrong one. Sorry about that.
www.nesika.com
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. Lightnin's suggestion about Nesika is well taken. I've seen their rifles and they are terrific. However, I am looking for a gunsmith to put together plain Jane hunting rifles. Generally I use a commercial Mauser action and sometimes a Remington 700. I usually will go for a laminated or glass stock. Accuracy expectations are discussed with the gunsmith. Given the choice of bullet there is often a limit on the accuracy expected. My last custom rifle sat at the shop for ages before it was done and then it looked like it was rushed at the end. The smith did take care of a couple little problems and it is OK now but I waited for 17 months to get back the rifle and another two to get the problems with the finish taken care of (he left runs in the finish and a chip came out of the stock while bedding that wasn't filled). If the wait is one year, that's OK but I'd like to know that in advance. Good and timely work is what I want. Is that too much to ask for? Ed