New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Bottom Metal for Rem. 30, 30S, 720
 Login/Join

<slancey>
posted
I have a Remington 720 project gun and I'm looking for a one-piece trigger guard floor plate assembly.
Any one know who makes these?
The Remington 720 has the same dimensions as the 30, 30S and M1917 Enfield.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just did the same thing.

I found a model 30 bottom metal frame for mine. I came accross P17 bottoms too .

I got the 720 mag box and m30 mag box too. Now see how that fits with the 720 trigger...

PM me, I have several measurements Big Grin Big Grin Need a stock???

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
In point of fact, yes I do need a stock.

So you're saying there isn't anyone who makes bottom metal for these?. It sounds like you just have to piece-meal the thing together from Model 30 parts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slancey. How many 30-06 rounds does your 720 magazine hold not including a chambered round.

I need a stock too and am looking for someone with a nice classic pattern.

My m720 has a smaller mag box and slimmer stock than a m30 . Also a shorter trigger. This is just my conclusion as Imfo on m720's is sketchy.

M30 bottom works great if you can find one or you can use a p17 enfield military bottom and cut and weld the front tang so the frame is flat. Thats how they made the m30 bottom.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might consiter looking at both types. The '17 frame type and the frameless ones that are like a M-70. I think you will find the frame adds a bout 1/2" to the width of the stock around the box. I personally think this is fugly. If you use a straightened '17 guard frame you have to be carefull. If you just straighten it it will be too long. The action screws will bind. So, you will have to cut it completely apart, take out a piece, and weld it all back together. Then you will be chasing inclusions and voids in the weld. To me it just has so many downsides. It winds up looking like a garage workshop job.

I on my last '14 project I eliminated the box frame. It just makes the rifle look so much better. Much sleeker and feels better in your hand. I did it like a model 70. I used the guard but cut off the box frame. I made a hinge for the floorplate. Also made a catch button for the floorplate that goes in the guard like the M-700 bolt release.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scota, The m720 is kinda like the 3 piece model 70 bottom , The trigger guard and floor plate is aluminum and the floor plate and is held with a screw. Its just kind of a rinky dink set up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the '03 trigger guard ?
I had one on a '17 Enfield, fit nice and eliminated the belly in the stock and was nice and slim. Just needs a new stock thats cut for the '03 triggerguard. All thats needed to adapt the '03 tg is reposition the rear trigger guard screw hole. It was a popular modification in the 50's-60's and I think its in Mc Farlands Gunsmith Book.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The m720 is kinda like the 3 piece model 70 bottom ........"

I don't have access to my guns at the moment or I would do some measuring for you. Check and see if M-70 factory bottom metal will work. It may be that you can use it. If it is a bit too short trim the back of the floorplate to fit. It already has a decent floorplate release. The hinge escuchon is wide and may work by trimming the wood, or the hinge escuchon. You may have to make a new hinge escuchon to correct the distance between the floorplate and the trigger guard. Sounds like the easiest way to go to me. Brownells has M-70 parts. Maybe take it to a gunshop and measure what is on the variouls M-70 models.

<slancey>
posted
I've called several gunsmiths in and out of the guild. No one seems to have the nice one-piece steel like the ones made for M70 and M98.
I like the idea of a blind box. Less weight, more flexibility in the stock design.
My M720 is a bone stock barreled action in an aftermarket stock.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the new Williams M70 TG assemblies in Brownells will fit? They look nice.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slancey, I'm surprised that none of them make something for it. YOu know that youa re going to be looking high dollar right, in excess of 400. You might try Jim Wisner, I think he was making assemblies for the Enfields and if he still has some it would probably work good for you. What size cartridge? I think last I heard he was doing 505 gibs boxes.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Spoke to Mrs. Jim Wisner. Sounds like he's out of those also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I found this m30 bottom and floor plate. Fits perfect . Nice trigger guard contour and floor plate reliese .

Slancy I PMed you with a guys #. Might have parts..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if he is still working on them, but Tom Burgess makes amazing metal for P14/M17/30/30S/720's. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote