New
Find
Notify
Tools

humidity levels for gun storage ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best humidity level for long term gun storage ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there are a lot of answers to that question depending on what part of the country you are in. I live in an area where ambient hunidity can run from 40-100%. My guns are kept in a room with a dehumidifier at a constant 30-40%. That's dry in the midwest, particularly in the summer. Someone living in the high desert where ambient humidity runs 10-20% would think my guns would surely rust but they don't.

On the other hand, I have taken rifles from 75deg, 35% humidity storage outside into 90deg, 70% weather and they immediately are covered with so much moisture they look like the hose was turned on them. What's that mean? Hell if I know. My guess is that constant storage conditions are better than those that change with the season.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ambient humidity is fine as long as the temp in the storage area is above the dew point for your storage environment. That is why Golden Rods work; they keep the temp in the safe a few degrees hiigher than ambient and prevent condensation.

If you keep your wood-stocked guns artificially dry and then go on a trip to humid country you're begging for stock swelling at best or warpage at worst.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Ambient humidity is fine as long as the temp in the storage area is above the dew point for your storage environment.

I think this is correct. I keep my guns in a temp humidity-conrolled vault. Temp is constant 69 degrees F, and RH is constant 50%. They have not rusted. Many have been at that particular vault setting for 16 years now.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote