New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 1187SM BBL Seal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The remington manual says not to use the bbl seal unless using 2.75 inch shells. however I would think need is driven by drams (something more influencing on gas pressure needed to eject a certain length shell...). If there is less powerful 3 inch load then maybe I need to use it. What are your experiences with the 1187SM, what are the risks (damage, increased wear, etc), maybe nothing, of using the seal for 3" shells that might require it for cycling?

Deke

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one in the shop with a broken bolt. It was used with "Black Cloud" shells, and the bolt sheared in half from front to back. In talking with Remington, they recommended that the high pressure shells be reserved for pumps. They are too energetic for automatics. All this is by way of saying, I wouldn't overrule Remington's recommendations. Try the gun set up as Remington recommends, and if it works, then leave it alone. By the way, Remington repaired the gun under warrantee.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks clemson, by the way I'm a tiger 86'

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote