THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Have a Rem 700 bolt w/o extractor and ejector. What parts do I need?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have a Rem 700 bolt w/o extractor and ejector. What parts do I need?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Ordered a bare bolt to mess with a bolt extension for my bullpup chassis.

Testing is going well but I'm real sick of pushing brass out with a cleaning rod Smiler

What all parts do I need to have a functioning bolt?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post

Extractor (Magnum, standard or 223)
Extractor rivet (If needed. There are 2 types of extractors. Riveted or rivetless)
Ejector plunger
Ejector spring
Ejector pin

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
SAKO kit :-)

Ejector plunger
Ejector spring
Ejector pin

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Is riveted or rivotless a choice? Any preference, or why?

Sako kit is tempting, what modifications are needed to install?

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your bolt has a hole in the side of the nose then it needs a rivet type. You'll also need the firing pin assembly, obviously. The sako or M16 style extractors require machining on the bolt:

http://www.davidtubb.com/index...d/free&download_id=1

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com...ngton-700-extractors

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com...g%20instructions.pdf

If you do the conversion, and keep the same bolt face, then there's a pocket in there that needs to be filled. I've seen people use epoxy, or machine it out and solder in a steel ring. If you start with a 223 bolt and open it up then it is usually not a problem.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I outlined the installation of the Sako extractors here.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/8671075902/p/3

Despite what many say, the Sako or M16 extractor does not really offer any advantage to extraction. They are camming style extractors and when they meet a stuck case they will and often do simply cam off the rim. The Remington extractor, like the Savage 110 and post 64 Winchester model 70 are sheering type extractors. When met with an immovable cartridge case the top of the extractor presses against the top of its retaining lip which jams it and prevents it from moving. The extractor either cuts a chunk out of the case rim, breaks the extractor or tears away the retaining lip on the bolt. In 99.9999% of the cases, the case rim is the weak link and fails.

The one advantage that the Sako style extractor has over the others is it's butter smooth and almost undetectable closing force. Due to the nature of it's design, it takes far less force to cam the extractor over the rim of the case on closing. Improperly installed and deburred the Remington extractors can take a great deal of force to cam over the rim. The M16 extractors sometimes require a bit of creative manipulation to get them working smoothly too.

Be careful when making the cuts for the Sako extractor. There are a million variants of it. Measure and work from the actual extractor you plan to use or the drawings that it comes with. Not a random set of drawings out of a book or off the internet. Any first year machinist should be able to measure up an extractor and tell if the drawings he has are correct or not.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, really appreciated.

Going to stick with a standard extractor for now. With my bolt extension, I want as much force on it as possible to actually try and cause problems, if they would happen to occur.

Reason being I'd rather something break on me in testing than a consumer later. Sounds like a Sako extractor is something I need to put on after testing though if it makes bolt closing easier!