New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double barrel shotgun problems !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an awesome little Virginia Capes 20 ga shotgun gun that I love to hunt with.I had the right firing pin replaced last year.The problem now is that I have to fire the left barrel first the rear trigger to fire both barrels.If I fire the right barrel first the left one wont fire .The safety also resets itself on the first shot which is a pain in the butt hunting.Does anyone know what might be wrong with my gun?

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like what's wrong with your gun is the guy who fixed it.

I'm not familiar with that make but it sounds like it may be an inertia type gun that depends on the recoil of the first shot to set the trigger for the second shot. Could it even be possible the guy got the linkages mixed up and now the first shot sets the safety?
Have you aksed the guy that did the work?
You could try asking at www.gunshop.com
Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea the guy that repaired your firing pin screwed something up.

Box lock or side lock?

I repaired a firing pin on one of my box locks and it isnt rocket science.
Maybe he got the safty reset in backwards or something isnt put back together right or he bent something
http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/index.php

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep he did something wrong.It has one of those weird double pin screws around the firing pin.He did a good job fixing that by making a new screw.Where can you get one of those double pin screw drivers by the way?There is something put together wrong for sure.Its a blocklock Spanish gun.It has double triggers by the way also.Its weird that the safety resets itself I never heard of this happening on any double.He me have something put in backwards .

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a safety linkage problem to me. Since it's a two-trigger boxlock there's not much that can get out of whack except the safety. Since you mention you need to reset the safety after each shot and that left-right works but right left doesn't, here's my guess: when fired left-right (rear trigger - front trigger) the safety when reset _does_ clear the right (front) trigger blade, but when fired right-left (front trigger - rear trigger) resetting the safety between shots isn't clearing the rear (left) blade completely. You can check this theory by firing the right barrel first, resetting the safety, then observing how much travel there is in the left (rear) trigger. I predict that it won't move much, just as if the safety were engaged. Try this with an unloaded gun - don't fiddle around with the safety and left trigger over a loaded chamber!! If it needs the recoil of the right barrel to make it malfunction, load only that barrel, fire, then check the other side which you left empty.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote